Bilge Pump Repairs

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Bilge Pump Repairs

Post by Markus »

The problem: Bilge keeps blowing the 5amp fuse.

Recently at quinte, I had my bilge give out on me.

First off....we unearth do people design things that are impossible to reach! :lol:

After getting my bilge out, the problem was obvious. The shaft on the bilge was bound solid. The garbage twisted around it was made up off ladys hair, weeds, and powerpro clippings. :?

I cleaned it up, but it still blew the fuses when I reconected it. I figured the stress must have ruined it and decided to pic a new replacement motor up for it. $25. While I was at the boat shop, I picked up a second complete 500 gph bilge for a future back up.

I reinstalled the new bilge motor last night and it's working great.

A couple maitence practices I picked up for the future.

1. I'm going to install external screens over my floor ports to prevent debri from getting under the floor.

2. The float switch also had a lot of slimmy crude in it and was hard to trigger. After cleaning it up, it turns on very easily now. I'm gonna inspect that regularly now.

3. Regular inspection of the bilge to avoid junk from building up on it.

This is what I like about fixing things yourself. I'm no machinic by any stretch, but doing a few easy jobs yourself really helps you understand your boat better.
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

Glad to hear you got it working.
If a litle fishing line can cause that bit of trouble, imaginge when a lot get careless toss out.
Did you get the clamp on the overflow tightened that you thought was part of the trouble.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

No, I have it temparly plugged right now. I'm shopping for 1.2" removeable plug at the moment. I can't find one. Checked TSC, Proctors and CT. I'm gonna call a few pool supply companies today and see if they have something that will work.

If not, I'm going to seal it.
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

Markus wrote:No, I have it temparly plugged right now. I'm shopping for 1.2" removeable plug at the moment. I can't find one. Checked TSC, Proctors and CT. I'm gonna call a few pool supply companies today and see if they have something that will work.

If not, I'm going to seal it.
Markus- As it's not a std size, I would call a local marine dealer and they should be able to order one in for you. I think that some older aluminum boats even had that size in them. If you still can't get one let me know and I'll give you a link to a supplier in the U.S. but you should be able to get one locally.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Thanks Spinner, I'm calling now!
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

So now we have to wear hair nets to fish in your boat? :shock:
Luckily, I have no hair left to lose, so I know it ain't mine in your pump. :lol:

You'd be amazed what you can learn about your boat by looking in the "nether-regions" ... those spots where the manufacturer never intented for the owner to look. Like everything, manufacturers are trying to keep costs down and can get a little cheap in those places.
Ask spinner about the missing and undersized nuts, bolts and washers for the seat bases in the VIP. Had me a little nervous about take out some of my heftier passengers.

Glad you got it worked out Markus.

M.T. Livewell
Last edited by M.T. Livewell on Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

BTW, would it kill ya to snap a few pics now and then? :P

Would love to see the work in progress. You'll soon be Yogi Markus bending your body in ways it was never intended to bend to find access to some of those hard to reach items.

MT
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I will take some pics when doing future matenence. Picture reports in our new boat forum will be great. :P
bts
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Bilge

Post by bts »

I would highly recommend any bilge pump questions be forwarded to WIG. :) His expertise was quite evident at Westmeath.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

:lol: :lol:

Poor WIG. After our 2004 quinte trip, I now call my bailing bucket WIG. :lol:
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

ya'll need tillers like mine, lol.

its all easy access....changing it was a breeze....

sure it plows water, and ya get soaked in two foot waves....

:shock:
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Markus wrote::lol: :lol:

Poor WIG. After our 2004 quinte trip, I now call my bailing bucket WIG. :lol:
bts wrote:I would highly recommend any bilge pump questions be forwarded to WIG. :) His expertise was quite evident at Westmeath.
You guys, always thinkin' of me :!: :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This forum comes around at an opportune time, I still have to get mine back to working automatically :!:
Last edited by Wall-I-Guy on Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Bilge Pump

Post by grumpy7790 »

Markus,
I would highly recommend installing a second bilge pump. One pump should be hooked up to an automatic switch while the other is hooked up to your manual dash switch. For extra protection, get a pump with an automatic switch built in on your manual pump. These pumps have the extra electrical lead for the manual switch.

G
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Grumpy, i just crimped clips on the end and attached a hose for my spare. I put it in my stoarage compartment with my spare prop, battery, cales, ect.

I figure I'll just clip it to the battery and use it when I need to and if I ever have to loan it to someone on the water I'll have it to them quickly.