winterizing boat motor

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
xcal
Participant
Participant

winterizing boat motor

Post by xcal »

Am winterizing my boat motor myself for the first time . I have changed oil in the lower unit as well as in the motor. I have a 90hp Mercury 4 stroke. I have greased all fittings as well as adding fuel stabilizer to gas. Do I need to fog the engine? There is no mention of this in the Merc manual, yet most boat dealers say it is necessary. What are your thoughts?
xcal
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Hey xcal,

I fog my 4 strokes every year before storage. Hasn't hurt 'em yet :!:

Used to get it done at the shop, now do it myself. Save a bundle. :D
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

:D :D :D :D

I've ALWAYS done it, ....use a product called "Engine Store", ....I think I got it at CTC, ...... :?

I even remove the plugs and squirt some right in the cylinders.... :D

Good Luck.... :wink:
Mikey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: winterizing boat motor

Post by Mikey »

xcal wrote:Am winterizing my boat motor myself for the first time . I have changed oil in the lower unit as well as in the motor. I have a 90hp Mercury 4 stroke. I have greased all fittings as well as adding fuel stabilizer to gas. Do I need to fog the engine? There is no mention of this in the Merc manual, yet most boat dealers say it is necessary. What are your thoughts?
xcal
Fogging won't hurt the engine, that's a given. I know many techs that simply remove the plugs, squirt some 2 stroke oil in the cylinders and turn the engine over a few times to coat the cylinder walls and she's good to go. You are trying to avoid 2 things...the piston rings scoring the cylinder walss, and old gas gumming up in the cylinders. If you've added gas treatment and run the emgine for 5-10 mins, you've covered the gummy gas issue, fogging will coat the cylinder walls to prevent scoring. One thing to note, many people pay full attention to their motors to insure no damage over the winter, but neglect their trailers. Be sure to check your bearings to insure there is no water in them due to a bad seal, fill them with a good bearing grease and cap. If you find water in the bearing housing, clean it out and replace the grease until you are able to replace the bad seal and bearing. Also check the tires for unusual wear patterns. Outside tread wear indicates tire pressure that's too low. Inside tread wear will indicate too much pressure. Adjust them accordingly to the specs on the tire wall. Another quick check point, the gas filter on your motor. If you have run your tanks empty, your filter will have picked up residue from the bottom of the tank, check the filter for dirt particles etc and replace if necessary. Plug wires, look for cracks and dry wire insulation, cracks will cause arc that will result in poor performance, such as starting or smooth idle issues. Replace accordingly. Grease all hinges ie: power trim and tilt rotation on the motor etc. If you have a gas/water seperator, replace it every 2 years. Replace water pump every year to 2 years as per your time spent on the water. If you spend alot of time....every year is the rule of thumb. Plumbers anti freeze in the bilge pump and livewell pumps will avoid and cracks over the winter. Once you have gone through this checklist....your baby is ready to go to bed until the warm sun of the spring wakes her for another season.....and last but definately not least....tell her how much you'll miss her while the cold winds blow out of the north...;-) Hope this helps answer your questions.

Regards,
Mikey
Last edited by Mikey on Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Mikey, if I didn't know better, I'd swear you've done this a time or 2. :P

The list doesn't get much more complete than that folks.

M.T. Livewell
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

Just noticed the new forum - I was wondering why there were no winterizing posts - well here's my bit.

Got a new 115 Merc 4-stroke this year and will be doing the winter stuff next week. I read that the engine oil and filter should be changed in addition to the lower unit/ fogging etc. The thing is, I don't mind the expensive oil for the summer, but to pay $40 just to be replaced again in the spring seams a bit excessive. I was thinking of putting standard QS oil in for the winter with a new filter, and replace it with some FC-W before hitting the water in May. Any views on this from those of you who have 4s' for a while????
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

ady wrote:Just noticed the new forum - I was wondering why there were no winterizing posts - well here's my bit.

Got a new 115 Merc 4-stroke this year and will be doing the winter stuff next week. I read that the engine oil and filter should be changed in addition to the lower unit/ fogging etc. The thing is, I don't mind the expensive oil for the summer, but to pay $40 just to be replaced again in the spring seams a bit excessive. I was thinking of putting standard QS oil in for the winter with a new filter, and replace it with some FC-W before hitting the water in May. Any views on this from those of you who have 4s' for a while????
Ady, I would recommend that a motor under warranty be serviced for the winter by an authorized repair shop. I would not give any manufacturer a way out on the warranty. :wink:
I have mine winterized at my dealer in December when Quinte ices over. They change the oils, fog it and do my wheel bearings on the trailer. In the spring I take it out in April... no need to go back to the shop.

Good fishing...

-Sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
xcal
Participant
Participant

re winterizing

Post by xcal »

Thanks for the great info and tips
xcal
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

eye-tracker wrote:Ady, I would recommend that a motor under warranty be serviced for the winter by an authorized repair shop. I would not give any manufacturer a way out on the warranty. :wink:
Good call, I hadn't thought of that. Winterize booked.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

I was told, not sure of how reliable the info is, that if they screw up your winterizing you can hold them responsible for repairs...anyone ever hear of this?

I had my marina do mine and I can only have good faith they did everything that needs to be done and done properly.
Mikey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mikey »

Mr.J. wrote:I was told, not sure of how reliable the info is, that if they screw up your winterizing you can hold them responsible for repairs...anyone ever hear of this?

I had my marina do mine and I can only have good faith they did everything that needs to be done and done properly.
Mr. J....you better have a good lawyer to prove the improper winterizing contributed to or was the cause of your motors failure....
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Mikey your an online mechanic :wink: Your right about the winterizing/ warranty, being in a marina probably 80% of the boats are stored and serviced there, guys have problems, myself included, but really hard to prove the mechanic did anything wrong, 99.9% of the time he didn't. If your not sure let a pro do it, better chance he'll get it right and for a couple a hundred a year it's peace of mind 8)
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Winterizing

Post by Erie-Eyes »

I agree with eye-tracker. My motor is still under extended warranty, and I took my rig in to my dealer last Friday to be put away for the winter. It may cost a few more $$$ now but come next Spring when I'm ready to go, so is my ride. I've followed this procedure last five years and have had no problems or regrets.