Tune Up Costs?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Tune Up Costs?

Post by mdej »

Okay gang, I'm looking for a rough estimate on tune up costs for out boards.

Situtation - 50hp Yahama 2stroke (oil injected). Motor is in mint shape, no rust, hoses are good, lower end seal is still good etc...
However its does not want to run right after sitting for 4 years.
I'm very confident that the fuel was not burned out of the engine the last time it was used (I can see the old fuel in the clear fuel bulb thing under the engine cover).

So I tried to get it up and running (fresh fuel of course was used) and it started but would not run right and would quit. I'm thinking that the carbs are all gummed up because the old fuel has had all that time to sit in there and cause build up in the carbs (varnish?).

Anyway, what is the average cost of a tune up on an engine like this. I'm thinking new plugs, air and fuel filter (if they have one) and getting the carbs all cleaned and tuned (it has 3 carbs).
I think thats all it needs cause all the hoses etc are in fine shape, plyable and clean.

Any ideas on costs?

Thanks.
Mikey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mikey »

Depending if the carbs need to be removed and cleaned, and no rebuilding is involved, jets etc...if they need to be rebuilt (which after not running for 4 years wouldn't be a surprise) floats, jets, etc......between $200.00 and $300.00 should cover it..this could vary depending if it needs a new set of wires...plugs etc.

P.S. It will definately need a water pump also.