Trolling or Gas motor for canoe?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Yankee
Participant
Participant

Trolling or Gas motor for canoe?

Post by Yankee »

Has anyone had any experience with either on a canoe? I want to get one or the other. I have a 16ft Old Town Predator. It is not a square back. I would have to get a motor mount. It’s rated for a 4hp gas motor.

I like the trolling motor idea because it’s quite and cheaper. But I don’t like the idea of carrying a battery into a remote area. I would also need a way to keep the battery charged.

I like the gas motor because it doesn’t need a battery of course and a 2.5 4stroke Mercury only weights 38lbs. A Honda 2hp 4stroke only weights 27lbs. I can make a back pack for a small motor for remote areas. But they are more expensive and a little nosier then a trolling motor.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Yankee
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Hey Yankee,

I've done quite a bit both ways actually. Used to haul 2 batteries through the bush to smaller lakes. Nothing like it. We did that for years. Now I wouldn't want to do it at this age. But the peace and quiet is worth the effort I find. Not to mention, the bite just seems so much better when it's quieter.

Now that being said, the 4 strokes must be a lot quieter. I used to own a 2 hp 2stroker that was noisy as hell. Not to mention the stink of the exhaust.

I think the 4 stroke may be the answer nowadays!
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

I use an electric and yes the batteries are heavy but I don't go too far from my car to teh water so this isn't an issue for me. I put the battery up front and run booster cables to the motor.

I made my own motor mount,

A couple of fellow fish-hawkers have gone for a ride in the Red Rocket and I thik tey'll tell you is sure beats paddling.
Yankee
Participant
Participant

Post by Yankee »

Thanks WIG, you would think the 4 strokes are quite but when you watch and listen to Honda's video it sounds rather loud. Noise is important to me. I think your right about the noise affecting the bite
http://www.honda-marine.com/modelDetail ... Group=bf2#

Great set-up Mr.J., your homemade motor mount has given me an idea for one.

Thanks guys, I'm now leaning towards an electric trolling motor. How long does a fully charged battery last on a windy day?
trapperdirk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by trapperdirk »

I'm surprised you lads haven't gone to the power packs yet and then buy one of those small solar panels that you fold up to charge it back up . Also you can get an inverter at the same time to charge the power pack as your driving down the road .
I know my power pack gets used for many things and its 850 cranking amps and there are many bigger . Clean to carry and less hassle than a battery .

TD
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

All I have to add is personally I'm a gas guy, but remember the gas needs to be carried too.

A nice feature of the electric is that you can sneak up on the moose, and in provicial parks that don't allow engines in the lake you can certainly use your canoe and electric power.
G-loomis
Participant
Participant

Post by G-loomis »

Anyone know where I can find a good site that has a hand made bracket for a trolling motor.

BRAD
xcal
Participant
Participant

Post by xcal »

G-loomis:
If you can find a dealer that sells grumman canoes, they sell a bracket that goes on side of canoe. You can see what it looks like if you go to www.marathonboat.com. I've had one for years and have used it for a 4-hp evinrude. Not sure what the price is, as I bought it over 25 yrs ago. Good luck:
xcal
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Yoo G-Loomis

Post by D-mo »

There is a guy who is selling motor mounts on Ebay ... look nice and sturdy (oak) and cost is very reasonable .. $25. Am.
D-mo
Steve G
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Steve G »

I built one last year, I'll take a pic and post monday.
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scumking »

Yankee,

As one of the few who have successfully ridden in the red Rocket I would definitely recommend electric :D :D .Even with myself and the battery in the front and beer drinking Jay :D :D in the back we hauled butt :D :D .Jay has got this down to a science.

Our little trip out onto mud bay was one of my great memories from this summer.

Ron
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Mr.J. wrote: A couple of fellow fish-hawkers have gone for a ride in the Red Rocket and I thik tey'll tell you is sure beats paddling.
I used it for a bridge once. Worked great. :lol:
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

Markus wrote:
Mr.J. wrote: A couple of fellow fish-hawkers have gone for a ride in the Red Rocket and I thik tey'll tell you is sure beats paddling.
I used it for a bridge once. Worked great. :lol:
Now that would have made for some good 2005 memories pictures too...it was just another fish-hawker lending a hand when needed.