Combo Sonar/Chartplotters

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Combo Sonar/Chartplotters

Post by Erie-Eyes »

Was at Boat Show yesterday looking at a new colour combo unit, either a Lowrance LMS 334C internal antenna (LMS 332C external antenna) or an Eagle Fishmark 642C internal antenna (640C external antenna). Both units appear impressive, but I was told as my boat is a walk-through twin consul with a canvas top, I would need to purchase a model with an External GPS+WAAS antenna module as the built-in antenna would not be reliable mounted on the dash of my boat. Two Questions:- Has anyone had problems of this nature before and also where do we purchase relative Navionics or other map chips for these units.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Hello erie-eyes,

It all depends on the design of your console, if you can mount the unit in tight to the windshield with full view of the sky in most directions a unit with built in antena may work. When your stand-up top is on you will loose sight of any satellite that are in that section of the sky, therefore you may loose WAAS accuracy and be 20 to 60 feet off in navigation calculations.

Now if you purchase a unit with a remote antenna that you can mount at the bow of the boat it will have a very clear view of the sky and a majority of the GPS satellites.

-Sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
MrPike57
Participant
Participant

Post by MrPike57 »

I agree with Eye-tracker, in order to get good navigation, you must have access to the satellites, if your antenna cannot see the sky, it can not read the satellites. A view through your windshield should work fine. Most of the satellite are in the southern hemisphere, on most units, you can tell how many satellites you are reading, for the best accuracy you should be reading a minimum of five satellites at one time.

Eye-tracker...I just bought an new Lund Pro V and I am looking at the various models. Which one are you running?
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Erie eyes: I carry the Navionics chips at Paddletales.

Ed
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

MrPike57 wrote:I agree with Eye-tracker, in order to get good navigation, you must have access to the satellites, if your antenna cannot see the sky, it can not read the satellites. A view through your windshield should work fine. Most of the satellite are in the southern hemisphere, on most units, you can tell how many satellites you are reading, for the best accuracy you should be reading a minimum of five satellites at one time.

Eye-tracker...I just bought an new Lund Pro V and I am looking at the various models. Which one are you running?
Hello MrPike57,

First off welcome to Fish-Hawk.net...
The units I am running are 2 Lowrance LCX25c at the helm mounted with RAM mounts. I have the GPS antennas mounted at the bow.

Fish On...

-Sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
MrPike57
Participant
Participant

Post by MrPike57 »

Thanks, Eye-tracker...I ordered a 25c last night from Cabelas. Why are you running two units at the helm? Why the antenna at the bow? With the open Pro V...I was thinking of leaving the antenna at the unit. I am also on Quinte Fishing site as Dllm413. I talk to Super Dad once in a while
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

MrPike57 wrote:Thanks, Eye-tracker...I ordered a 25c last night from Cabelas. Why are you running two units at the helm? Why the antenna at the bow? With the open Pro V...I was thinking of leaving the antenna at the unit. I am also on Quinte Fishing site as Dllm413. I talk to Super Dad once in a while
'

Hello again MrPike57,
I fish quinte often, may bump into you some time while trolling around the Picton area.
I run two units because I like to view the full horizontal width of the sonar screen. When I am trolling with my autopilot my back is often turn to the units, therefore after I have spent some time setting out lines or watching my inline boards I can glance back over my shoulder and view everything that has happen in the water column over last few minutes. The wider the screen the more history you can see, this is one of the reasons large wide screens have become popular with walleye anglers as more fish are taken on the troll due to clearing waters. My second unit has full screen GPS for trolling towards way-points of marked bait-fish schools or structure, and it also serves as a backup sonar unit.

The reason I run the antenna at the bow, is I often guide and have my standup top on to protect people from the wind and rain. This usually reduces the accuracy of the GPS signal. In most cases you can velcro the puck antenna to the helm at the base of the windshield.

Fish On...

-Sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
MrPike57
Participant
Participant

Post by MrPike57 »

thanks for your thoughts....it all makes sense to me now.
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

Thanks for all the input everyone. I did a complete investigation at boat show including talking to eye-tracker, people at Lowrance/Eagle booth, and anyone else that I could find including my boat dealer, who has promised to order me one and install it when boat comes out of winter storage. I've now decided to go with the Lowrance LMS-332c with the external antenna. Everyone I spoke to advised to mount the antenna at the front of my boat (a twin consul walk-through windshield and a convertible top).
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

I have the LMS332c with the puck and a chip from Eds, your gonna love this unit. I zoom in max on the chart then switch to split display. the chart scale goes out a bit and the 480 pixels give great defintiion. Lots of buttons tro play with etc to fine tune to your own tactics.. sweeettt...
pikeonthe fly
Participant
Participant

Post by pikeonthe fly »

eye-tracker wrote:
MrPike57 wrote:Thanks, Eye-tracker...I ordered a 25c last night from Cabelas. Why are you running two units at the helm? Why the antenna at the bow? With the open Pro V...I was thinking of leaving the antenna at the unit. I am also on Quinte Fishing site as Dllm413. I talk to Super Dad once in a while
'

Hello again MrPike57,
I fish quinte often, may bump into you some time while trolling around the Picton area.
I run two units because I like to view the full horizontal width of the sonar screen. When I am trolling with my autopilot my back is often turn to the units, therefore after I have spent some time setting out lines or watching my inline boards I can glance back over my shoulder and view everything that has happen in the water column over last few minutes. The wider the screen the more history you can see, this is one of the reasons large wide screens have become popular with walleye anglers as more fish are taken on the troll due to clearing waters. My second unit has full screen GPS for trolling towards way-points of marked bait-fish schools or structure, and it also serves as a backup sonar unit.

The reason I run the antenna at the bow, is I often guide and have my standup top on to protect people from the wind and rain. This usually reduces the accuracy of the GPS signal. In most cases you can velcro the puck antenna to the helm at the base of the windshield.

Fish On...

-Sheldon
Thanks from me too Sheldon...answered a few questions I had too. Have a Lund Mr Pike and will be fitting a LXC25C this spring. Was wondering about the puck sighting too...but base of the screen on the consul sounds good.

Thanks again
swampbuster
Participant
Participant

Post by swampbuster »

I mounted my attenna at the back of the boat, my bow has a horn,trolling motor planner board mast base and fish finder so there is no room left . The waas satelites are on the equator and very low in the sky , I found my waas was cutting out a lot with the attenna on the dash. No matter where you put it you will have times when you will loose your waas, you just have to hope its not when you are hugging that 2ft shoal on a windy day. :roll: :roll:

Thanks
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Caution: WAAS satellites repositioning

Post by eye-tracker »

This 2006 season in Canada we may not have WAAS service, as they are repositioning satellites because they are introducing new ones in orbit. WAAS was developed for aircraft in the sky, therefore the satellites from a ground position are very low in the sky and are easily obstructed by trees, hills and etc. The new satellites are going to be placed in a new orbit that is higher in the sky, but until these are in position and operational we will have interrupted WAAS in Eastern Canada.

Be careful out there this season.

-Sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Race Rock
Participant
Participant

Post by Race Rock »

I bought the Lowrance 334c on Friday, the Eagle does not have the Flasher feature for jigging.