Help, my outboard is bleeding!

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Mossman
Participant
Participant

Help, my outboard is bleeding!

Post by Mossman »

Well.. it's not blood.. but the motor equivalent I think. This buildup shows up after running the motor for 10 minutes or so..

Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks!
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

looks like grease to me. do you grease it before and after winter. The grease will ooze out a bit - pump new stuff in until the milky stuff is replaced. Not sure if there are seals in there, how old is the motor???
Mossman
Participant
Participant

Post by Mossman »

Grease would make sense, as it hasn't been changed. Unfortunately I don't know where to pump it in, is there an inlet valve? I checked the manual and there isn't any mention of it..

http://www.nissanmarine.com/tech_talk/p ... A2_6A2.pdf

The motor is a 2003 6hp Nissan.

Thanks.. really showing my lack of knowledge in this area.
Steve G
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Steve G »

I can see 2 grease nipples in your picture, try both of these. (Half way up looking right, and further up facing us)

Also have you checked your lower end oil?

See page 27 of you manual, and take out the lower screw as indicated, then put back in rather quickly, if the oil that leaks out looks any thing like what's in the picture, you have a major problem and take it in for service.
Mossman
Participant
Participant

Post by Mossman »

Cool. I was wondering what those silver things were! What kind of grease should I be using - and what gun or container can pump it in there?

I changed the lower unit gear oil last week and it was jet black.
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

Mossman wrote:Cool. I was wondering what those silver things were! What kind of grease should I be using - and what gun or container can pump it in there?

I changed the lower unit gear oil last week and it was jet black.
You can get a marine grade grease at CT, but anything is better than nothing. Pump it in until good stuff comes out both ends, wipe off the mess and you should be good to go. When buying grease, get some of that blue workshop paper towel stuff - your gonna need it :D

Steve G has a good point - do the lower unit at the same time, even if it was done in the fall. 1 clean-up :D
Mossman
Participant
Participant

Post by Mossman »

I picked up some marine grease and a grease gun at CT. Then after a few minutes of wondering how it all worked, squeezed out that old gunk until new stuff came out of the joints.

Thanks for all over your help Steve G and ady!!
soggy bottom boy
Participant
Participant

Your Bleedin Motor

Post by soggy bottom boy »

I think you've got problems with that motor Bud!

A bit of excess grease is not uncommon after you've lube grease fittings, but it looks like you've got poor seals or something on the motor. Way to much cr@#p on the leg of that motor.

I would take in to a dealer for inspection and repair.

Good luck,

Soggy.