new to me boat

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

new to me boat

Post by Jebby »

hey all.... im seariously considering an older boat down my street. its a small aluminum... if i get it it will have to take its long road trips upside down on our popup trailer but for local day trips it has a trailer.... it is an older boaot with and old motor though and im kina new at this stuff.... any tips on what to ask? what to believe? what to check out and how?... any info at all would be great....

thx
jebby
Jimmy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: new to me boat

Post by Jimmy »

Jebby wrote:hey all.... im seariously considering an older boat down my street. its a small aluminum... if i get it it will have to take its long road trips upside down on our popup trailer but for local day trips it has a trailer.... it is an older boaot with and old motor though and im kina new at this stuff.... any tips on what to ask? what to believe? what to check out and how?... any info at all would be great....

thx
jebby
Dont get taken like I did on my first boat... was so excited.. overlooked many things.
Put it in the water with someone that has some knowledge of outboards... next run it... go to full throttle... make sure it runs smooth and doesnt miss...dont believe the "bad" gas story from the guy either. Repairs to an outboard are very expensive! $100.00 bucks here..$200 there before ya know it..
Check the boat for leaks... Walk forward and aft to see if you get water..
Don't buy anything that will give ya headaches!.. Your first boat should be a dream... not a nightmare!
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

very good advice... i will definitly not be buying this boat if it dosent preform in the water... if he wont let me take it out he dosent want to sell it...he can come if he wants but im going to work it over.... more specificly its an older model 14' aluminum boat with a 9.9 hp johnson and possibly a 6hp chrisler... it has all teh extras...ie life jacket ores fule line and take, kill switch ect ect.. on a very crappy home built trailer... i looked the boat over 2day and it seems very well maintained however the motor is old and i dont know anything about them so i will have someone look it over with me.... the boat itself seemd good though...i will be going back later this evening to see if he is home so i can start the motor and mayB arange a test ride... thx

jebby
Slammy
Participant
Participant

Post by Slammy »

The first boat I bought was from an elderly couple. It was a 50hp 2s & ran like a swiss watch. They used the boat about 3 times in the last 4 years they owned it. I bought for the intent of using it 3 to 4 times a week, fishing, tubing ect.. seeing I had a young family. After a few trips out the problems started. Lack of use was the major contributor. I ended up replacing all seals & everything of a rubber type material $$$$$$$, including power head & rebuilding lower end. Not trying to discourage you , but have an expert check it out before buying.
Jimmy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

used

Post by Jimmy »

Slammy wrote:The first boat I bought was from an elderly couple. It was a 50hp 2s & ran like a swiss watch. They used the boat about 3 times in the last 4 years they owned it. I bought for the intent of using it 3 to 4 times a week, fishing, tubing ect.. seeing I had a young family. After a few trips out the problems started. Lack of use was the major contributor. I ended up replacing all seals & everything of a rubber type material $$$$$$$, including power head & rebuilding lower end. Not trying to discourage you , but have an expert check it out before buying.
It Probabley had probs before they bought it also!.. Good advice
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

went to take a closer look today.... the motor is a very old motor (53) thats been repainted...on the outside... however it started on the 2nd pull 2 times and then on the 1st after that.... it has seen limited usse this year and is aparently being sold because the owner bought a new boat... the boat its self seems solid... in the motor there is no visibal corrosion and everything looks tight and well maintained... the owner said it was bought from a Bingo Bay (local marina) at the start of last year to replace the 6hp christler that is also forsale... he said the marina changed the coil, plugs and wire connections... he says the engin has ben properly fogged for the winter and it has had limited use last year... He told me it would not be a problem to take the boat out and give it a test run any time this week and seemd willing to let me test driove it as well as take it to an outboard mechanic.... any opinions.... i think if it checks out in the water and at the shop i will put in an offer however i will first get someone with some knowlege about outbords to take a look and tell me there opinion... any1 here have an opinion?

thx jebby
Haybay Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Motor

Post by Haybay Larry »

Jebby,
It sounds like you are on the right track.
It may be an issue getting parts for something of that age. Just my 2 cents worth...Larry