Size of Boat

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Size of Boat

Post by mdej »

Hey guys,

I have recently been looking at several boats. On in paticular has caught my eye (and budget). Lowe 14' long - 67" beam wit 30hp

Is a boat that size large enough for fishing Ottawa river, the Rideau Canal, and Rideau lake?

I want to be comfortable on the water. My current boat is too small, when I'm in the Rideau channels and other boats come flying by, its a mad grab for the trolling motor to get turning the right direction so I don't get swamped.

Thoughts or Advice?
Jale
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jale »

That boat will definitely be large enough for the waters that you mentioned..Only thing that I can see happening in about 2 years you will want a bigger boat to fish lake ontario/ BOQ :wink: :wink: :wink:
good luck
Fishquest
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishquest »

Sounds like a great size boat for fishing those bodies of water.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

I had a 14' alum. and you will have to watch the weather on the Ottawa, it can get pretty nasty pretty quick. Same as the big rideau the boat traffic can be menacing. As long as you stick to calmer areas you should be ok. I upgraded just for that reason, I didn't feel all that comfortable in the smaller boat, but I see guys out in them all the time.
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

I know the 16' feeling will come. Problem is I don't have the budget to allow me to get a 16' as must as I would like one.

Based on prices I'm seeing 14' is about all I can invest right now.

Thanks for the opinions guys.
BillyTM
Participant
Participant

Post by BillyTM »

Hey mdej:
I have a 14'9" WideBody Legend that I have rigged strickly for fishing. It's got a 25hp tiller and a 65# MinnKota bow mount. I have had it for 7 seasons now and every year I seem to add a new toy to it. I have fished a number of lakes up that direction (Westport) with it and its very comfortable on most medium large lakes. I've fished Lakes Erie, Ontario and Huron with it ( near shore) and the Niagara River. I have been out approx. 9 miles on Erie on a calm day. Fully loaded it will go approx. 22mph. Stripped down, about 26mph . The down side of this size and style of aluminum boats are they are teribble in windy conditions. A wind sock is a good idea for any drift fishing. With a boat like this you are at the mercy of the wind. They are like an empty pop can floating on the surface. They're a great economical unit, ( until you can afford that 18' Lund), but there are issues. The Lowe is probably a little heavier, so it may handle the wind better.
Just my 2 cents
gl