Trailer - Lights

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Trailer - Lights

Post by Seaweed »

Well the age old problem of lights on boat trailers working when they want to has been haunting my trailer and I don't like it.... :x

I have tried to isolate where the problem is and ... well it is beyond me where the problem is. :cry:

I went out and bought new lights... and wire harness and will begin the process of changing them out this weekend. A project that I will try to document for everyone here. Because this will happen to your trailer .... sooner or later. :roll:

Stay tuned.

Items already checked
-Ground on trailer frame
-Bulbs in lights
-Checked wires for crushed or broken areas
-Checked lights in car - functioning fine
-I have a car that lights go on automatic when dark - this is a problem but I can bypass this by putting on lights using switch
Graembo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Had that prob too.

Post by Graembo »

SW:
Yeah i got fed up too, got the LED submersible kit with entire wiring harness. Re-did the whole system, side markers and all in 2 hrs. Just forgot to buy liquid elec tape. So that's getting painted up this weekend. This better be the end of trailer light issues!!

Have fun bud! I was grinnin the whole time KNOWING that I'd never be messing with them again when leaving the driveway/launch. :evil:

G
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Hey Chris, check the ground on the wire harness to your vehicle.
thanks
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

I don't know what it is about trailer parts but I find they are always pretty poor quality. My old trailer had to be cleaned every year. The contacts were always my problem. The copper seemed to have very little "spring" and had to be bent to get a good contact. Lights and contacts get hot during the drive then get dunked in water - plugged or unplugged this leaves a residue that builds up. WD40 or contact grease doesn't last very long either. Lots of problems with the ground as most people have too, corrosion from dissimilar metals gets accelerated with the water dunking and this affects the resistence in the circuit. I imagine the led variety should be better, less current and therfore less heat, but the grounding problem will still be there and require a clean at winterize time. good luck with the new lights.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Lights and stuff

Post by Seaweed »

Well pleased to say that I got the lights fixed. I had to replace the whole light fixtures at the back of the trailer. They were 12 years old so ... :?

Got them fixed and then worked on the foot pedal of my electric. Got it fixed then plugged it in to test.. tested great. Went to pull out the plug from the receptical in the front console... bliiiiiiissssssp... damn if the whole thing didn't short out and watched the wires almost get flaming.

Guess what? Had to replace both ends of the plug. Oh well I was meaning to get around to that.

Slapped the ear muffs on the motor and added water then ..... well it didn'start so I then pulled the plugs and cleaned them up... turned over the engine a couple of times and blew out some of the fogger then put the plugs back in ..... vroom vroom. Ready to fish.

Then I had to go to some damn family deal... towing my boat. To put her back in the tent until next Friday when off we go to the Bay of Quinte. It is going to be a long week... :)

Sorry I promised pictures of everything ... but the camera was dead as a post. Better get new batteries for Walleye World.
Haybay Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

maintenance

Post by Haybay Larry »

Seaweed, wiring can give anyone a bad time but good to hear you got it sorted out!
Let us know how you did at Quinte!...Larry
bass ackwards
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bass ackwards »

Don't make me come over there Seaweed,
I preached to you before.
Dont use crimp-on connectors, solder and heatshrink all splices.
I hoped you used Ox-Gard on all the connections, not only keeps some of the water out, but stops corrosion. Use a q-tip to get some into the trailer connection. Do all the Ground connections too.
Painter, Craig , Merkley and now you, I should put on a workshop were everybody brings there boat to work on. :wink:
Good luck buddy I know you will do a good job
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and oh by the way put new spark plugs in, go cheap and get towed to the dock. :roll:
saumon4
Participant
Participant

Post by saumon4 »

A useful link to those who want to do it by themselves:

http://www.easternmarine.com/em_showroo ... _tech.html
Haybay Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Haybay Larry »

Hey that is a very usefull site for supplies as well as the wiring diagram! Thanks...Larry