Danger Crash at work

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Danger Crash at work

Post by crash »

After all the tips and things from reading Skooter's and MT's projects I had to get mine going.
Well I purchased a used boat that had I very high catch reputation :) . I knew that a little TLC would be in order. The main one being the transom. No biggie the inside is dry and solid so just the outer would be in order.
Well the order was to make sure i didn't loose any small parts when disconnecting things. Well I did remember to disconnect the crank battery first. Then what fun removing and marking thing to be able to put it back together again with out to much trouble :roll: . the fun really started when I had to get the cables for the sonar and speedo through the old transom. well its a 17 foot Starcarft with enough leads for a 40 footer lol. I think those to leads were the first two to be tie wrapped to all the other wires in boat.
Now getting a 50 horse Jonson off took a little thought. Well if I put a block under my skeg and lower the stern with the trailer dolly jack I just have to lay it down , :lol: great game plan there, now just have to get the six bolts off gee did I get lucky there and none seized. Put the better half to work in raising the bow and it worked like a charm, then the two of us just laid the outboard down and slid it out of the way.
Now I knew the wood was bad so a little persuasion and it came off so I could get at the rivets. I just nipped them off with nailcutter pliers and drifted them through. the ones on the plate behind the Outboard were a little tougher. Yes I popped the center and still missed, a chisel cured that problem. Well a little work with a prybar and I had it out of the way and the old wood off.
Now i know enough to measure twice and cut once lol well I was close a n second cut and a second cut and a second cut to get a nice close fit. Well I started with a 4'x8' sheet for a piece 68" by 17". a coating of water seal and let it soak in.
By this time the Blackflys were getting real nasty, so I clamped the wood in place and with the help of a local board member just reversed the remove the outboard process 8) and got it back on. well the bolt holes were close a quick ream and we had it secured.
Now I had enough of the flys biting me and i haven’t broken anything yet called it a weekend.
I have learned alot from the do it your self sections especially from Skooter. If I only had his talent for picture taking too but alas I can only be so good.
I just hope that I can remember where I put all the little parts to connect all those thing back on the outboard. Well I will save that worry till I get back down there.
Now I just hope to be able to have it ready for a tourney on the 6
Jimmy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Wow

Post by Jimmy »

Sounds like ya had fun buddy!... keep us informed..
Try to get those picks working