help me

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

help me

Post by Jebby »

hey all... b4 i start i must confess.... im motor impared... i dont no much.... i just got ahold of a very old outbord. late 50s.... its a 10 horse johnson.... it starts but it dosent stay running well.... and to start it the choke must be out... then it fluds because u have to leave the choke out.... hopping to get some general tips for a beginner as to what to try... plugs are fine... other than that? i duno//// thx

jebby
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Try to pull the choke out a quarter of the way....The same thing happened to me!
Haybay Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Motor

Post by Haybay Larry »

Jebby,
It sounds carburetor related. Being that old a carb rebuild may be in order, a float may be stuck. I'm not sure where you can get parts for an old motor like that. Check some of the local marine dealers, they should be able to help...Larry
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Flooding stall

Post by Seaweed »

This sounds like a problem my old Suzuki outboard had.

What ended up being the solution was totally draining all the gas from carbs. The problem was the previous owner never used anything to prevent the water from building during storage in tank from condensation and over the years it just built up in the carbs... gas floats on water so it had enough to start but as soon as you started to move it would suck water and konk out.

Try adding a bunch of water remover to your fuel and continue to add and let it work overnight.... until you get up and running or take it in to a shop and let them work on the carbs.

I guess the other method might be.... turn the motor upside down and let the carb bowls empty. I didn' t have this option. Just a thought.