Sonar trouble

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Piker
Participant
Participant

Sonar trouble

Post by Piker »

I have a Lowrance X51 sonar which will not find depth. The chart will scroll but the image is quite faint and choppy. The depth readout does nothing but flash zeros. Previously to this, I had intermittant problems with it losing its fix on depth, flashing zeros, then finding it again. There are no diagnostics in its programming. The only device available to the user is a factory preset reset which doesn't fix the problem. I suspect the transducer may be faulty but at $100 per, I want to be sure before taking the dive. Anybody have any experience with this?
glenn
Participant
Participant

51 x-ducer

Post by glenn »

Morning, it sure sounds like a x-ducer problem to me. If the unit worked fine in the past. I would check the x-ducer beginning at the water level make sure no exposed cable is apparent at the joint where the cable goes into the x-ducer. Check the bottom of the x-ducer for any major scuffing, ruts. If thats fine check the cable all the way up to the unit(looking for any cuts, scrapes on the black sheath). Rodents love to chew wiring over the winter storage months. Finally check the male/female connection(looking for any bent,broken pins or corosion). Hope this helps ........Glenn
Piker
Participant
Participant

Post by Piker »

Thanks Glenn, I'll be sure to check that out.
bass ackwards
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bass ackwards »

Check that you are getting the proper voltage (12+) at the plug. Corroded fuses can cause problems.
Piker
Participant
Participant

Post by Piker »

Hey! That's worth a try. Thanks Dan.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

If the transducer is attached above the line of the bottom of the boat , it will do all you are saying
Piker
Participant
Participant

Post by Piker »

Thanks MM. That's not the problem. The transducer was working before in the same location.
Here's something that we discovered this weekend. The signal from the transducer stutters. We can hear it on our portable radio as static interference. It clicks about five times then pauses, five more times then another pause. The scroll of the screen moves and pauses in cadence with the clicks.
All wiring, connections, and voltages check out leaving me to think I have a faulty transducer.
I enquired about service for fish finders and was told these are toss-away items. Too costly to fix. My only options at this point is to spend $100. and replace the transducer hoping it will fix the problem or save my money until I have enough to buy a better unit.
Graembo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

trans

Post by Graembo »

what tranducer does it use?? I have my lowrance transducer i use for ice fishing...it's still relatively 'handy', we could test it with that one if they're the same. I checked the online manual quickly for your X51 and it looks like the trasducer is exactly like the one i have.
let me know if you're still lookin for solutions.
G
furious
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by furious »

Just curious, did you try calling Lowrance Canada? They are really good with warranty and after sales service. They may be able to save you some time and tell you exactly what the issue is. Also is the transducer positioned properly, by that I mean is it still level and pointing slightly forward? I've had mine slightly out of position before and it was enough to make me want to take up golf trying to troubleshoot it!! :shock:
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

I just finished dealing with this same problem on my Fishmark 480 and yes it is the transducer. I spoke with a rep from Lowrance and they told me to put my unit on Simulator mode and if it functioned properly that way then it was the transducer. Try that and see.
Piker
Participant
Participant

Post by Piker »

Thankyou all. I'll try the simulator mode check first, then I'll get in touch with Lowrance Canada. If it all fails to turn results I'll be in touch with you, Graembo.