Trolling Motor Size for 17' Alum - Ordered New Selling old

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Trolling Motor Size for 17' Alum - Ordered New Selling old

Post by ady »

okay you guys with bigger boats. I bought a new princecraft 176 pro-fish last year and put my old trolling motor on it. I have a 12v 55lb minn kota. It doesn't quite cut it like it did on my old 16'er. The boat has 2 battery bays so I'm stuck with a 24v system. I really like the auto pilot and want to go that way again so the max I can get from minn kota is 80lb. Is this gonna be enough?????
Last edited by ady on Wed May 24, 2006 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haybay Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Size

Post by Haybay Larry »

Ady, 80 lbs will be plenty for your boat coipled with a Pair of large deep cycle batteries you will be good to go!...Larry
JIGNPIG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JIGNPIG »

Ady,

I run the sister boat to yours the 177 Super Pro. The trolling motor I run is the old OMC 24 volt 56lb thrust and I can fish all day in any condition with no problem the only thing is you might want a long shaft Trolling motor I would think a 65lb or 74lb would suffice. But just like the Horse Power on your boat Max it out if you can

Bryan
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

good to know the 80lb will handle the boat - I just need to save some pennies , wonder what I'll get for a trade on the old one. Might be better to sell privately.
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

Ordered a new motor today from Laurentian. Selling old - see for sale forum