save my motor...

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

save my motor...

Post by Jebby »

on mazinaw lake last week i found a rock and after inspection dident seem to have any damage..... motor ran fine for about 2 more days then on the last night i couldent get it in gear.... its a 1954 johnson 10 hp.... ran fine though... grrr out come the paddles.... get back and go to retrieve it in the morning.... wont run at all .... i think the fuel line has an air leak cuz it was making a hissing sound and after running weakly for a few seconds the motor would die.... that was it for her.... on the trailer and now i gatta save her .... any sugestions? im sure i can get a new line but im more worried about y she wont slip into gear (forward or reverse) any info on either of my problems would be great (im new to outbords so the simpler the better )

thx
jebby
Haybay Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

lower unit

Post by Haybay Larry »

Jebby,
If the motor was running ok before you hit the rock and now it won't go into gear there must be a problem with the linkage in the lower unit. It is a simple linkage but may be bent or brocken.
Check all the fuel line connections, clamps first. it may help with the running issue. A new fuel line may help your motor..larry
1954-it was a very good year-same as me!
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

Jebby,
I had an old evinrude a couple years back. I never hit anything with it but I did run into the problem of it not going into gear and slipping out of gear. There is a screw right under the shifter which can be adjusted and thats all it needed, a little adjusting. Might not be your problem but worth at least looking at.
orrsey
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

thx guys poroblem solved... sheered the pin in the prop so it was just slipping on the shaft... (ya ya big oops i know) but atleast it only a few bucks... as for the fuel line issue its no biggie but i trimmed back the line and it seems to be workin if it does it again ill replace it... any ideas where i can get 1 for the old pressure tanks?
Woodsman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Woodsman »

Jebby wrote: as for the fuel line issue its no biggie but i trimmed back the line and it seems to be workin if it does it again ill replace it... any ideas where i can get 1 for the old pressure tanks?
Double fuel line hose without fittings for the pressurized system is avalible thru your local UAP/NAPA auto parts dealer. Product # 18-8051.
Also avalible are cooling & ignition parts for your motor. Dealer almost likely will have to order these parts in. If in the local warehouse, it will be 1-2 days. If it has to come from the US expect 2-4 weeks.

Good Luck