treat for my motor

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

treat for my motor

Post by Jebby »

tune up for my motor.... hey every1 i have a 1954 10hp johnson... it so far as always run for me on the 1st or 2nd pull..... however she is old and im wonderin what i can do o help her.... i had a prop incident that was fixed thie year... she got a new impeller at the start of this season however she dosent like to run/idol at low rpm and sometimes wont rev up untill after u choke her to teh verdge of stalling a time or to (dont no y im no mechanic) i was told that ther carb could probobly use a rebuild... would this help? and i know i can get a kit for 14 bucks but my merine mechanic wants 140 to do it... do u think that i could do it with a lil help form family.... we have never done a boat carb however im told its straight forward as long as u have the settings..... also i was given a fuel pump for it 9it uses an old pressure tank) does any1 know how to install 1 and is it worth it (pressure tank works just fine) keep in mind this is an old motor and i dont have alot of money.... however she has been great to me and is all heavy duty parts and can stay in opperation for years to come.... i plan on keeping ehr going into the future provided i dont find alot of $$$ to allow for a fishNski upgrade (its on a 14 foot tinney)

thx
jebby
jiggy2006
Participant
Participant

Post by jiggy2006 »

well he's got a 54 model 10hp engine, you have a late model 200hp .. i mean if i had a 10hp that old i would try fixing it myself.. but an expensive engine like yours, even though lets say im mechanically inclined, i would for sure bring it to a profesional shop.

i think he can fix the carb himself, do some reading on the internet or ask questions.. personally i wouldnt spend $140 labour for a carb rebuild on that old of an engine! just my opinion.
jiggy2006
Participant
Participant

Post by jiggy2006 »

before doing anything like carb rebuild.. i recommend you goto NAPA auto parts and buy a $10 can of Seafoam (not the spray type).. put that stuff in your gas tank (with oil mix etc) and run it like that for awhile..
you'll see the difference after!

this is the cheapest approach.. :)
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

thx for the info.... motor is fogged for winter now but come spring ill be doing some maintanence to c what i can do for er

jebby