gel battery

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
patience
Participant
Participant

gel battery

Post by patience »

who knows what about "gel batteries" ?
have been told they are great for trolling motor applications.
anyone have any thoughts? comments ?
any and all info would be great
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

got 1 for my protable fish finder.... havent used it yet but it aparently doubles it life span almost
patience
Participant
Participant

Post by patience »

i heard they last awhile on a charge as well , hopefully find out this weekend. let you know what and if i find out
thanks all the same
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Haybay Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

batteries

Post by Haybay Larry »

Some of the new style batteries require specialy chargers to get the most out of the battery and a maximum life...Larry
bass ackwards
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

gel cells

Post by bass ackwards »

Gel cell battery for trolling motor applications work great, they have the same life expectancy as a flooded cell (lead acid). Because it is a gell between the plates in the battery they should take more vibration, thus less failure due to shorted plates.
I'm using one now for a starter battery. There are more expensive.
One nice thing is that you don't have to fill them up with water and they wont spill.
fisher
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fisher »

I have been using a deep cycle gel battery for the last 3 years, bought it for its non spill/no maintenance qualities, its been great so far, lots of power and holds the charge well.
but a good gel is twice the price(roughly) compare to a good flooded cell. the life expectancy of a gel is 20% less then flooded, you do need a special charger for it(max charge 14.1 VDC), a regular automotive type automatic or manual charger will cook it over some time because the charge rate is higher on a flooded battery.
if you think its pros out weigh the cons then yes, its a good choice if you running 3' waves and slamming your boat around the water, no worries about spilling acid in the boat.
As for me, when its time to replace it, I'll go with a good quality group 31 flooded cell battery, place it in a deep battery tray and secure it good so it doesn't tip over and save myself some $$. modern flooded cells have come a long way, the caps on them have really improved, they don't really spill unless you over fill them or they get tipped over.