LOOKING FOR MINNKOTA ? MOTOR GUIDE???

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
muskymike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

LOOKING FOR MINNKOTA ? MOTOR GUIDE???

Post by muskymike »

HEY guys need advice on what to look for in a motor should I go 12 24 volts minnkota or motor guide bow mount any other brand or problems i should know about????THANKS
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Musky Mike: I would stay away from Motor Guide if possible. Since being bought out by Mercury a few years back, there service has gone into the crapper, and they don't like weeds at all. If you should happen to find an older Brute that somebody is willing to part with, that should be ok.

I personally use a Minn Kota. (have been down the Motor Guide road) They will go through all kinds of slop and the service support is excellent, at least in Eastern Ontario. I would also reccomend a 24 volt system if you are planning to use the motor a lot. Lots more battery life for those windy days

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

I like GM you like Ford

Post by mikemicropterus »

:D This is like the GM FORD debate. I can find just as many MG owners that like the product as I can find unhappy MK owners.

Muskymike I think it comes down to the specfic model and the features each has that will make your decision.

I have used MG since for 20 yrs and have no issue with them. I agree with the service issue though but I have not had ANY problems the models I owned in the past. And they do go through weeds as long as you get their hydrilla prop. I find MK to be too heavy especially on the bow of the boat. Changes the handling characteristics. They are so heavy that MK has brought out a new mount to compensate for this issue.

Now MK has very nice features that MG does not have but you will need to investigate that yourself, to get a trolling motor that meets your SPECIFIC needs which are different from say what a bass fisherman wants. The one point I will make though is not to cheap out on the lbs thrust get one that exceeds your demands. I don't know what size your boat is but you would need at least 70lbs of thrust.

:D
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

as said, depends on the boat size.

I had the MK 12V 55AP PD on a 16' Alum bowrider - Worked great no problems

Bought a Princecraft 176, the old 55 could hack the load so had to upgrade.

Now have the MK 24V 80AP PD and all is well again.

I love the auto-pilot though some do not.
xRED
Participant
Participant

looking for electric trolling motor too

Post by xRED »

Hi,
I am looking for an Electric Trolling motor too.
My bro has a MG for at least 10yrs now with no problem but I think I want an MK Auto Pilot.
My Bro has a 12V 43LB on his 19Ft bayliner and seems to work OK.
It will wipe you out if your not ready for it.
I saw some recommendations and for my boat
19 foot Lund Pro Sport
115 honda
recommended a 55LB

What size motor does the fishing community think I should get
is 55LB not enough?
Does any one have some on sale maybe last years model
I would like Auto Pilot but for a decent savings I would consider just about anything.

I have room for 5 more batteries so I'm thinkin I would rather have the 24V version
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

xRed. I guess it all depends on where you fish and what sort of water/weather you fish in. A 55 will move your boat, but a little wind or current and it will struggle. As said previously, I had the 55 AP and had to replace it on my 17'6" princecraft 115 Merc. You have to consider shaft length too, I went from a 54" to a 60" shaft.

Others may differ, but I would go with the 80. Laurentian do occasionally sell used ones but not sure what they have.

my 2c 12' - 14' tinny 30+
16' tinny 40+
16' fish consol 50+
17-19 fish consol 80+

that said, my buddy has a 110 36v on a 17' legend, it's a little scary cos he only uses 2 speeds, off or max
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Hey xRed. I'm using a 55pd MK on a 16ft Lund Pro Sport with a 75 Yamaha and think it is maxed out for that size boat. On a calm day it is fine but in current and wind, especially with the top up, you're using a lot of battery juice to maintain control and, what I experienced this fall, not enough to fight the wind and current. For a 19 foot I would definately move up and maybe even consider a 36 volt unit.
Either way, if you're a serious angler who goes out in all sorts of weather and water, spend the little extra now as I think you would not be satisfied with a 55 pd for your size boat. I've even been thinking of upgrading.
Good luck.
xRED
Participant
Participant

Post by xRED »

thanks Guys,
I think I will start by looking at a 24V 70lb at least.
If 36V isn't to much more I will check those out.
Where can you find them.
Lebaron only had a few in stock and frankly I'm not real impressed with service I have got there in the past.
Im going to Toronto so may go to Bass Pro shop but would rather spend money locally just for service if I have a problem.

Any other outdoor places around Ottawa?
xRED
Participant
Participant

Post by xRED »

Well I'm up in Toronto on business and went to Bass Pro shop in Vaughn and wow I spent 2hrs in there.

They have a 70lb minn with autopilot for 1200 smakers OMG this fishin thing is gettin costly...lol

Checked out all of thier bait caster reels,rods, colapsable ice huts this place is awsome.

One thing the guy mentioned to me was Ottawa is getting a Bass Pro Shop in the near future.

I can't wait.
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

take a look in Laurentian, they sponser this site so deserve a look. I bought my MK 24v 80PDAPUS from there. Just off Hunt Club by Airport Pkwy. Easy to miss though, turn right (W-E) 100' after the Bus entrance just after Pkwy. they stock some MK, was there today but was looking at chargers so don't know exact models. I had to order the 80 and it took around 2 weeks. The Canada/US rate should get some you deals that the bigger stores might not pass on!!!!
Haybay Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Trolling motors

Post by Haybay Larry »

I have been a fan of motor guide for a long time. Le baron stock some trolling motors but I had them order a specific model for me and no one in town at the time could come close in price. This was many years ago but might still hold true-worth investigating. At the time saved $180 this way......Larry