Can I leave battery on my boat outside?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
rickr
Participant
Participant

Can I leave battery on my boat outside?

Post by rickr »

I've done winterize my motor. I just disconnected battery cables, and leave them obn boat outside.
Do you think cold weatehr will hurt battery durng winter?
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Most marinas that store customers boats for the winter outside leave the batteries in the boat. We do were I work. Just remeber to charge all batteries up completely before you store it. A battery that has little or no charge may freez and be ruined.
Hope this helps
Cheers
JP
IanD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IanD »

I bring all 3 of my batteries into the basement and keep the 2 deep cycle's on a trickle charge all winter. Once a month I charge the cranking battery. My deep cycles are both 4 years old and going just as strong as the day I bought them. They have always been stored indoors in the winter.
Haybay Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

batteries

Post by Haybay Larry »

I would also rather leave them inside in a cool location charging them monthly. Too cold or hot are hardest on batteries. However when cold they loose there charge the least.
I had a deep cycle battery for 7 years and was still running well when I sold the boat last year. The starting battery was 5 years old. They were both the old fashioned style you had to add water to[distilled ONLY]....Larry
Brit
Participant
Participant

Post by Brit »

As JP said, I was told by a marina to fully charge the battery and leave on the boat,thats what I have done these past two winters and have had no problems with them at all.