Boat Ownership

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
waynerb66
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Boat Ownership

Post by waynerb66 »

Can anyone tell me whether I have to get a boat ownership for my 14 footer? I have read that it is up to the person. I have a licence for it. Is that all I need. Do I have to pay taxes on the boat? It seems so confusing. I have to get an ownership for the trailer at the provincial licence bureau, the boat licence at a federal office. What else do I need?

Thanks.
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

Do you mean a bill of sale?
jmikail
Participant
Participant

Post by jmikail »

From what I have read (and I could be wrong), all you have to do is fill out the following form with the bill of sale from the previous owner. From my understanding, there are no fees involved.

Web Site:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/sc/bo ... ions.shtml

PDF Form:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/pdf/84-0172.pdf
waynerb66
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by waynerb66 »

I have the licence for it. But do I need an ownership for it. Or is the licence and ownership one in the same? I did not receive any type of ownership papers for it. The previous owner did not have the boat licenced at all. As well do I have to pay the government taxes on the boat?
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Hi Wayner. I work at a marina and here is how it works. If your boat has or will have more than a 10hp engine on it you must register it with Services Canada. They will issue you a registration # that you must have on the bow of the hull no smaller than 3.25" high and 10" long.
No there is no specific boat ownership that you will recieve just the registration # which can be transfered when you sell the boat . By law if your boat has 10 hp or more you must have a COPY of your registration on you when you are on the water or face fines if you were ever stopped by the OPP. If there is less than 10hp then you do not need to register it and do not need any documentation on you.
As far as tax goes you will have to pay PST when you register the boat at services canada if you bought it privately. If you bough it from a store or dealer then you would have already payed both taxes and just present a copy of your bill of sale when you go to register the boat. There is no charge to register the boat and vynil numbers are about $25 for the set and are available through any sign place.
Hope this clears things up and pm me if you need more info.
Cheers
JP
waynerb66
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by waynerb66 »

Hey JP,
Okay, here is what I have. I have a pleasure craft licence sheet with specifics of my boat on it. I have attached stickers on the side of my boat in accordance with the licence number on that sheet. Now it says that this licence is not a title document. What is a title document. Is that the bill of sale? Also when I got my licence for the boat, I was not charged anything, no fees, no taxes. This is why I am confused. I bought the boat privately. Where do I pay the taxes on it? Is this Transport Canada sheet the one I have to carry with me?
Thanks
jmikail
Participant
Participant

Post by jmikail »

If your boat is 12 metres or less and has an engine of more than 9.9hp then you must license it or transfer the existing license.

You do not pay taxes in Ontario on the purchase of a used boat from a private owner, but you pay PST on the price of the trailer when you get a new plate for it.

There might be a small fee for licensing but I did not see it on the application form.

You should call or go to your local Service Canada outlet to get absolute answers. http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/gate ... menu.shtml