Duel Battaries Setup Question

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
mudboy68
Participant
Participant

Duel Battaries Setup Question

Post by mudboy68 »

Ok Well I am Thinking of Setting up duel battaries this year 1 for starting the motor only and another to run electronics ( radio fishfinder GPS etc.).

So I thought I would query the masses on the different type of setups.

Now from my previous posts The motor I have is a 1969 115 Evinrude that has a rectifier setup no generator or altenator I belive it uses a stator. it does charge the main battary quite well considering age and all.

I have read that duel battaries in this situation the best set up would be using a VSR or voltage sensing relay with The 2 battaries.

Opinions and input welcomed.

TIA

Mud
pikeonthe fly
Participant
Participant

Re: Duel Battaries Setup Question

Post by pikeonthe fly »

I solved the problem re your set up as follows. Fitted Deep cycle battery independant of the cranking battery set up, running all auxilliaries from either the cranking battery or deep cycle via a three way switch (ON/OFF/ON) .

That is to say a live feed from each battery via the switch to the boat fuse panel for all Auxilliaries and both negative terminals on the batteries connected. When running on the main motor, I run everything off the cranking battery, however if trolling all day on the kicker I throw the switch and run all auxilliaries off the deep cycle, keeping the cranking battery intact and in a fully charged state. If the boats going to be sitting a while between trips I can 'isolate' the panel from the batteries by putting the switch in the 'off' position.

I also have an on board charger for the deep cycle when it needs recharging.

Reason for the set up is getting caught out once or twice after 3 or 4 days trolling and using the main motor very little, the auxilliaries using more power than the main motor alternator was able to put back = insufficient power left to turn main motor over.

May seem a lot of bother to some but it works for me.

Cheers
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

not enough output

Post by mikemicropterus »

Your engine does not produces enough amperage to properly charge the deep cycles, They need to be charged at at least 10 amps constant and the charging system on that motor will not produce constant amperage. It increases with rpm. The most you will get from that system is 12 amps at WOT and if you use the battery for an hour that is how long you would have to be a wot to fully recharge the battery. The older motors just don't have the oommpff to charge anything but a starting battery, buy yourself a GOOD battery charger and recharge the deep cycle with it, the battery will last longer being charged properly. You don't want to short cycle the recharging of the battery or you will decrease it normal life.
acuteangler
Participant
Participant

Dual battery setup Question

Post by acuteangler »

I had a 96 Evinrude 115 and tried charging my starting battery and deep-cycle battery with it. The wiring was such that the deep cycle could not draw from the starting battery and the deep cycle would only be charged when the starting battery was at full charge. I was never in a situation where my starting battery was low, but my motor charging system was not able to fully charge the deep cycle. I now run a 2000 150 Evinrude and have an on board charger with two deep cycle batteries. I have fished for a week without having to charge my deep cycle batteries. I keep a 100 ft extension cord on board with that I am able to reach a power source when I do need a charge. I feel that is the best way to go. It is a little expensive up front but when on the water you have a far better chance of not being short changed.
AA
mudboy68
Participant
Participant

Post by mudboy68 »

hey guy's thanks I always charge my batteries before I go out anyway so no biigy there I was just thinking Incase of emerg It would be nice to have a 2nd batt for a little boost other than that run the electronics off it but I think I have a soloution.

re wire my boat and keep a set of jumper cables under the seat
Cheep solution

Thanks
Mud