2 Stroke Engine Oils

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
High Noon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

2 Stroke Engine Oils

Post by High Noon »

Hi Everybody,

I have an '86 Evinrude 2 h.p. and a Stihl gas weed whacker. I use 50 to 1 oil mixes in both of them. My question is this. Can I use the same type of oil in each of them or do I have to use outboard oil in the Rude and Stihl oil in the weed whacker? If I can use one oil for both of them which one should it be? The marine oil or the Stihl oil. It would be nice to get rid of one gas can. Thanks for the help.
Lunkerlurker
Participant
Participant

In one word ... No!

Post by Lunkerlurker »

The outboard is water cooled and the weed eater is air cooled. The internal temperature of the motor is different so the outboard might not completely burn off the weed eater oil : this will cause carbon deposit.

In the words of the late Steve Irwin "Danger! Danger!" :shock:

As carbon deposits are one of the causes of piston's rings and powerhead damages $$$. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hope it helps

L
Luke
Participant
Participant

Post by Luke »

Not to say that's it's right but I've been using Evinrude outboard oil in my Echo chainsaw for 5years now and still no trouble. Then again the oil is probably worth more than the saw!!
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

oil olive oil olive

Post by mikemicropterus »

:D You can use your evinrude oil in your chainsaw but not your chainsaw oil in your evinrude.

The evinrude oil is very good while the stihl oil is for air-cooled 2 stroke not water-cooled 2 stroke. TCW-III is the rating for most marine 2 stroke oils to-day. I think if you look your stihl oil will have another rating that does not comply with evinrudes recommended oil. Also most chainsaws are mixed at 30:1 not 50:1 but I may be mistaken with what stihl recommends as there gas/oil ratio. The air-cooled engine runs hotter than a water cooled cousin so the oil additives are different. TCWIII is suppossed to be ashless and recommended for a marine enviromment so it leaves less deposits in the engine something chainsaw oil does not do as well.