Battery for my trooling moter

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Battery for my trooling moter

Post by Troller »

Hi all,
It is Sunday morning and I am watching fishing shows with my tackle box out. I am going through my lures and such. I have an incredible itch!! I am down right dangerous right now with my credit car in a tackle shop!!l lol
I am in the market for a battery for my trolling motor. I have a 50 lb thrust Min-kota controlled by a foot pedal. I see there are deep cycle only marine batteries, and a combination deep cycle and cranking battery on the market. just seeking opinions form poeple who know more then I do. The battery I have right now was not holding a charge very long. The battery I have on there now I believe is from 2002 and it was not used very much by the previous owner. Just wondering if a combination is just as good as a deep cycle only battery? What I am thinking is the trolling motor battery could be a backup battery for my cranking battery if it should ever fail me. So far so good, but you never know. Or should I just go with the deep cycle only for my trolling motor. Roughly how many hours should a fully charged trolling motor be able to run a trolling motor? Also which brand/make of battery is good?

Thanks,
Daver
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

The fact that you will be using it for a trolling motor means you will be draining it on a regular basis - so a deep cycle is the best way to go. It will last longer than a combo which most marine labelled batteries are. The deep cycle cannot deliver high amps that fast but will start the main engine in case of emergency. Get the biggest you can fit in the boat. I use 2 Trojans, great batteries fro Total Battery.
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scumking »

Hey Daver. I run the Minn kota 55pd on an Energizer deep Cell and get about 5-7 hours regular use(bass fishing on/off). I sometimes use it for walleye trolling and plan on getting an Optima battery to give me more :wink:.

Supposedly they are the Cat's meow and will get you a lot longer use as well as a lifetime guarantee.

There price is a lot higher, $229 at Wallmart.

Ron
jmikail
Participant
Participant

Post by jmikail »

Walmart is having a sale on their Energizer deep cycle combo batteries. I will probably pick one up to run the 45lb thrust trolling motor and keep the starting battery fesh for starting the engine.
IanD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IanD »

Scumking wrote:Hey Daver. I run the Minn kota 55pd on an Energizer deep Cell and get about 5-7 hours regular use(bass fishing on/off). I sometimes use it for walleye trolling and plan on getting an Optima battery to give me more :wink:.

Supposedly they are the Cat's meow and will get you a lot longer use as well as a lifetime guarantee.

There price is a lot higher, $229 at Wallmart.

Ron
that is pretty much what I'm getting with the same motor and battery. The gels are really the way to go, even with their higher price tag. I believe that you need a charger capable of charging gel's as well.
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

Hi Daver,

I'm no electrical expert ( can't even remember brand of batteries in my boat ) but I have two - a cranking battery to start motors and run all electronics ie. down riggers, fishfinder/gps, radio's etc. + a gel battery with an onboard charger for my 55# Minn Kota. I troll a lot with my 9.9 kicker which also charges the cranking battery, and have never had a problem. My gel battery is now 6 years old, and I have never had a problem with it. I do believe my practice of always recharging it immediately after use has led to its long life. [/code]
furious
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by furious »

If you have the room get yourself 2 batteries. A cranking battery and a trolling motor battery. You will get more life out of both batteries that way. As long as your main engine has an alternator and charges your cranking battery, you will only need a charger for the trolling motor battery. If you have a little extra room get the biggest deep cycle you can fit in there, like a group 31. It is bigger and heavier but will hold a charge longer providing you charge it properly and maintain it. Charge it with a minimum of 10 amps. It is better for the battery to have the charge pushed into hard (ie. 10 amps as opposed to 5 amps) when you first hook the charger up and then have it drop it's charging rate as the battery starts to fill up. Also, as soon as you can after your fishing day is over and you get home, plug your battery in to charge. It is harder on the battery to sit in a discharged or semi-discharged state.

If you take care of your batteries they can last you upwards of 4 seasons. I have had batteries regularly last me 3 -4 seasons. 8)
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troller »

Thanks for the great advice guys!
Cheers,
Daver :wink: