Pontoon Boat For Fishing

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Eagle
Participant
Participant

Pontoon Boat For Fishing

Post by Eagle »

Do any of you use a pontoon boat to fish out of??? Looking at the 18 to 20 footers that are rigged to fish. How are they to trailer? Can a single axle trailer be safe for L O N G over the road hauling? I know I do not want a trailer with the wheels inside the pontoons. How do you have your trolling motor set up?

Won't go in to detail as to the why of this post, but it may become a necessity to trade for a pontoon.

As always, thanks for your replies.

Eagle

Hey. look at me, I actually got a boat question in the boat forum....for a change. :oops:
jmikail
Participant
Participant

Post by jmikail »

I can only answer the fishing question. To be totally honest, out of all the boats I have been on, I have been most comfortable fishing on a basic pontoon boat. This include nice bass boats, too!

Pontoon boats do not move all that fast, might not be great for rough waters, and do not have the same 'cool' factor as bass boats but they sit higher in the water and provide tonnes of space for casting. I had one of my best smallmouth bass days on a pontoon boat just due to the fact that it was very easy to see the fat boys cruising in the clear water.
jmikail
Participant
Participant

Post by jmikail »

I can only answer the fishing question. To be totally honest, out of all the boats I have been on, I have been most comfortable fishing on a basic pontoon boat. This include nice bass boats, too!

Pontoon boats do not move all that fast, might not be great for rough waters, and do not have the same 'cool' factor as bass boats but they sit higher in the water and provide tonnes of space for casting. I had one of my best smallmouth bass days on a pontoon boat just due to the fact that it was very easy to see the fat boys cruising in the clear water.
Eagle
Participant
Participant

Post by Eagle »

Thank you, jmikail, for your reply.
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

Pontoon boats are very open and not bad to fish from.

If wavy water they are not fun, and in wind they sit so high in the water they get blown around a lot.

I have not fished from one enough to provide any indepth opinion.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

I have to disagree with mdej...we have owned a 20' pontoon boat for years now and they are a lot more stable than a regular v-hull in rough conditions.

Fishing is comfortable with lots of room to move around...the only obstacale is when you have a very large fish that decides to take a run under the boat. Most pontoon boats are 8' wide and if you have to get to the other side to fight the fish it's tricky as you can only do this by the front because of the bimini top frame at the rear.

The other thing is, be prepared to be on your knees a lot! Most pontoon sizes are now 25 - 26"...this makes the boat sit high up on the water....I normally drop down to my knees in order to catch and release my fish.

Trailering far distances is a pain and is hard on your vehicle. If you do plan on gettin a trailer, I recommend buying a bunk trailer with tandem axles....
Eagle
Participant
Participant

Post by Eagle »

Appreciate the replies!!!

Thanks!!!!!
gussser
Participant
Participant

pontoon

Post by gussser »

I have been using pontoon for longer than most posters here. Tow a 20 footer to Canada from Penna,. twice a year with a 4.0 liter 6 cyl Ford Aerostar. Absolutely NO Problems towing. Tow through mountains rest of year. Due to HP limitations on most Pa lakes I fish I have a 20 hp Motor. Trolling motor was installed by me Through floor just in front of rear bench seat. Simply drilled 1 1/4 " hole through floor. Works great. Steer troller from captains seat. Can see depth finder etc. Have had this set up out in Cheaserpeak Bay.. Not a speed demon but unless its a hurricane goes well & handles big waves very well. This boat is like a master card----won't leave home without it. GUSSSER :lol: :lol: :lol:
gussser
Participant
Participant

Post by gussser »

FORGOT ---Trailer is single axle---Crank up type----Between the pontoons I was extremely fearful of this trailer. But over the years have never tipped or come close that I know of. It is very east to load & unload by myself. Can also set boat off & use trailer with ply deck added to carry 3 four wheelers to camp.