Alright electronics guys, it's your time to shine.

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Alright electronics guys, it's your time to shine.

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

Ok guys, I'm thinking about moving around some batteries and re-wiring and I need some advice.

I picked up my boat used a few years back, and because everything worked fine I didn't screw with it. But I think it's time to change.

I have a 12v minnkota, depthfinder, and livewell aerator/pump, as well as a bilge pump, nav-lights and rear-compartment ventillation fan. My motor also has power tilt/trim which uses quite a bit of juice.

I currently have one deep-cycle and one cranking battery, they're both under the back deck with the gas tank. I'd like to make more room back there for more gas (I want to improve my range) so I'd like to move the deep-cycle forward into what is currently a baitwell under the front deck.

I want opinions on what equipment should be attached to which battery so I can assess weather or not I can make this happen.

Thanks guys,

I'm excited to hear your responses.

Matt
Big-Ty
Participant
Participant

Post by Big-Ty »

deep cycle to your minkota, everything else to your cranking.
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

Thanks Big -Ty, that's definatly not how it's been setup until now, but that would make it easy to relocate the deep-cycle into the bow. Would I have to worry about using the cranking battery for the livewell pump? How long could I run the livewell without running down my cranking battery?
Big-Ty
Participant
Participant

Post by Big-Ty »

Not sure how long exactly you can run your pump for before it completely drains your cranking battery...
...maybe one of the resident battery experts can answer that.
I can't see it drawing all that much juice though...

Personally, I don't let my pump run... I'll fill up the tank and let it sit.
Every half-hour, hour or so, I'll run it for a few minutes to freshen up the water.
Whether that's a good or bad idea, I don't know... haven't had a fish die on me yet.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

You can get a timer for the live well. 3 minutes off, one minute on, that sort of idea. It reduces the amount the amount of draw on the battery. I have them available at Paddletales.

I run 2 live wells (if I can catch 2 fish :oops: ) as well as 2 gps/depth finders all day off of the cranking battery and haven't had a problem yet.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

I have run a bilge/ livewell pump for some bait I had in a bucket with a small lawn tractor battery. It ran for 3 days. I would not worry about your cranking battery.
As stated, deep cycle for TM, all other connections to cranking battery.

BTW, the unit Ed speaks of is a great tool, especially if you are anything like me, and tend to forget about, and neglect, the fish in your livewell.

Pictures of the layout of your boat would also be helpful.
Make sure you keep the weight even distributed (i.e. deep cycle to port, cranking to starboard - or both to port to off set driver weight). You get the jist. Also, moving some weight forward could affect how the boat runs. Likely not significantly, but knock off a mph or 2, or even add if things are done well.

Good luck.
Bill
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I've got some re-wiring to do even if I don't end up moving that battery around. Actually I've got one of those timer systems Ed mentioned. Once I get the boat back from storage I'll post a little photo spread of the setup.

Thanks again.

Matt
Flipper
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Flipper »

My first bass boat was wired with the cranking battery for cranking only and all the accessories ran off the deep cycle.
My second bass boat is the opposite with the deep cycle running the trolling motor only and all the accessories run off the cranking battery.
Never had any issues either way but, although it's never happened, slight worries about draining the cranking battery prematurely when running the pumps all day.