trolling plate.

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

trolling plate.

Post by joco »

hi all

i just put a little trolling plate on the smaller boat i got.

those it realy make sutch a deference....?

i can t wait to try it wit my gps.just to see the speed diference. :P .

its a 15 footer and a 30hp.johson...

little question.....some people say ,trolling plate is NOT GOOD.. :shock: :? ,for the motor.

is it true or false........??????

thanks

joco :)
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

A trolling plate makes it very hard to control a boat. If I need to slow down my boat I toss a drift bag off the front of the boat. It does 2 jobs 1) slows you down 2) it keeps the bow down which keeps it from being tossed around by the wind.

I have heard that you can cut another notch in the plate so it is only half on and it makes it easier to control the boat.
Viper
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Viper »

I put a trolling plate on my 40Hp 4stroke and I was having a hard time controling it in the wind. I cut 3 circular 1.5 inch holes in the plate. Now I have no problem controling the boat in the wind. I cut 2 holes about 1.5 inches in from the corners and 1 in the middle of the plate. I was prepared to cut two more holes in the upper corners but it turned out to be not needed.

I have been the plate for 3 years now and I am quite satisfied. I tried bags but did not like them. Now the boat gives me ethe exact speed I need for lakers :D
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi viper.

any picture off the thing you did to your trolling plate...?

did you chek your speed change,,the deference betwen before and after the plate..?

thanks guy

i already put my plate on my boat,,,,mabe it would be a great ideal to make some holes.. :P

joco. :)
Viper
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Viper »

Bonjour Joco

I do not have any pictures of the trolling plate. Also I did not notice any change in trolling speed just the much better steerage control.

I made sure before cutting any holes that the placement of the bottom holes were equal distance from the bottom and the sides. And the centre hole was exactly in the centre. I did not want the force of the water flowing though the holes to be unbalanced.

At least that was my reasoning and in practicality it seems to work.

Hope this helps