Humminbird, Lowrance, Garmin, Eagle ... what would you buy

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Fisher Dude
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Humminbird, Lowrance, Garmin, Eagle ... what would you buy

Post by Fisher Dude »

Ok guys - sound off. Are any one of these better than the next? I'm talking primarily FF - maybe combo unit - don't know yet ...
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

What kind of finder would you buy.

Post by Joey Rat »

That's a little like saying I want to buy a car, should I buy Ford, GM Dodge etc.

I don't have enough experience to suggest one over the other so just let me say that I have a Lowrance X67. Colour display, fairly easy to use and in the $300 - $400 range installed. It is a straight up finder, I have a hand held GPS mounted next to it on the dash. It's a Lowrance as well. IFinder H2OC. I don't think you'll hear many complaints about Lowrance but there are certainly lots of options out there.

My buddy has a Hummingbird finder/gps combo and I don't think he has figured out how to use it yet but that may just be him.

There are so many variables out there you really need provide some guidance probably starting with price point.
jmikail
Participant
Participant

Post by jmikail »

I agree with Joey Rat. I have Lowrance/Eagle products and they are easy to use and well built. I will probably by Lowrance from now on because they make it a point to keep things similar in every product in all of the categories.
Fisher Dude
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisher Dude »

I asked the vague question because I'm not interested in getting a recommendation for a specific model. I'm more interesting in knowing if one or the other is the Lada equivalent and whether their is a Cadillac in the bunch.
Fisher Dude
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisher Dude »

Thanks though for the comments.
IanD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IanD »

Very important is the quality of the after sales service. Lowrance is second to none. I had a small problem with the handheld H2OC, returned it to their Service Centre and exactly 5 days from when I returned it, I had a new unit.
Guess what brand is in my boat?
Ian
OTRA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OTRA »

I've been looking at the different ones also, mostly on the internet. Leaning toward Lowrance because I like the fact that you can download a simulation and try it out before you buy one. Also the Lowrance tutorials are informative.
furious
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by furious »

Lowrance & Eagle get my vote. I have owned and used Hummingbird and Garmin too. Lowrance/Eagle customer service is by far the best I have dealt with. Very fast turn around time and no hassle.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

Lowrance & Eagle have been good to me..and when I mark fish...I know they are there...great fish arches in manual mode