Minimum Boat size and Hpwer needed to fish the big lakes

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
gordy28
Participant
Participant

Minimum Boat size and Hpwer needed to fish the big lakes

Post by gordy28 »

Hello
Beginning to research boats either used or new and I had a question pertaining to the size of boat and horsepower most people would require to fish the big lakes:
Lake Erie - primarily Long Point area
Lake Ontario - primarily Toronto Harbour, and Quinte
Niagara, St Lawrence and Ottawa Rivers (not confined to bays etc)

I know people who have done and still fish these lakes with a 14 foot Lund Big Fisherman (Deep Hull Model) with a 40HP and a centre console

Is this crazy? DO you need a minimum of 16 feet or is it more around the fact that you need a minimum transom height of XX

Any opinions welcomed and I realize this is maybe not an exact science but will be based on people preferences
Thanks
Gordy
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

You wouldn't catch me on lake O with a 14 footer :shock:

I have a 16.5 fiberglass with a 90 and 9.9 and have not had any problems. Hit a few days with high winds and didn't have much problem.

The way I see it, is even with a 16-18 foot boat, pick your days. It's more comfortable and safe.

Same goes for Quinte, the waves are closer together so the chop coming off them rocks you around.

A 14 footer would really limit your ability to go out and not all that safe...
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

I live in kingston. I have fished with a 14ft legend shortshaft 25hp. I had to pick my days but fished and hunted waterfowl from that boat in Quinte and even around the islands in kingston. howe and wolf.

If you are buying a boat id get a 16 to 18 ft deep vee min. Bigger means better. deep vees are the best for big water. Id also look at all welded hull.

I just boat a legend xcal 18ft. Its a big girl that is made for big water. I spent a hell of a lot of money for her. But some girls are worth it :D

Buy what you can afford. get out there and fish! the good thing about boats is that you can almost always get most of your money back when selling.

good luck
gordy28
Participant
Participant

Post by gordy28 »

Thanks for the info - it helps and is much appreciated - and seems inline with what I thought
Cheers
Gordy