Pirate cove Pirates?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Pirate cove Pirates?

Post by SkeeterJohn »

I recently had trouble starting my Yamaha VMAX 225. After talking with several people the problem seemed to be one of 3 things, a weak battery, a bad spot on the starter, or a short somewhere. Hey fair enough it's a bass boat things break sometimes :lol:

The problem was that I'd turn the key.. the starter would click but the motor wouldn't turn over.

I had the battery tested at two different locations and both said it was fine. I checked all the connections and everything looked fine. At this point it must be a starter issue so i dropped off my boat to the closest Yamaha dealer to me Pirate Cove.

I had a LOT of trouble getting answers out of them and they never returned my calls. I decided the girl on the service desk must be a 17 year old ditsy blond (which turned out to be true) .

Finally i do get a call to say that it's a dead starter and it's an expensive part $800 plus $105 to install plus taxes.. So I'm being presented with a bill for $1040.75

I decided that was too much considering a brand new starter can be purchased in the states for $450 or less and it's 3 bolts and two wires to install. Something just isn't right about their price.

I managed to purchase a refurbished starter for $200 shipped to my door so that seemed to be the best way forward. I had a year left on warranty in the states but for $200 it made sense to get back on the water as quickly as possible. I could always get the bad starter repaired and keep it as a spare.

I was told about a company called C-Tech in Nepean who service and sell starters and alternators. I dropped over to see them with my "bad" starter and after testing it on they computers told me it was fine with no internal problems. This company was great and they took the time to tell me how the starter works and what i should check for... I also asked how much a new starter would be just for kicks.. $380..

So let's get this straight... the starter is ok... Did pirate cove even test it? The price would be $380.. why was i quoted $800... and this was the same unit not an aftermarket part.. That speaks volumes to me so I'll never be back there again.

So after talking with C-tech i took my starter home and re-installed it. I checked all the connections on the batteries and still nothing. I then re-check the kill switch to make sure it's not causing the problem... no it's fine. finally i reach behind the ignition key and move a wire. It starts !!! It looks like i had a short after all.

If you have a starter/alternator issue give C-tech a call at 13 Ceaser Drive in Nepean... As for Pirate Cove.. they'll NEVER see my boat again EVER !!
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

Good post John.

It's unfortunate, but I've had horror story issues at a lot of the dealers around here, even with just my small boat. It's not fun at all.

I'll be looking at Lunds over the winter and Priates Cove is one of the local dealers.... guess I'll have to think that one over.
JRSuprstar
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JRSuprstar »

I took my boat motor ('74 50hp Merc) to Pirate Cove Marina for service and the guy gave me the parts run-around...hard to find a good boat dealer...I also fixed the motor myself, after much internet searching, and a parts motor purchase...sometimes, you want it done right, learn how, and do it yourself....great post

JR
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

bradford2 wrote:Good post John.

It's unfortunate, but I've had horror story issues at a lot of the dealers around here, even with just my small boat. It's not fun at all.

I'll be looking at Lunds over the winter and Priates Cove is one of the local dealers.... guess I'll have to think that one over.

DK DODS is a lund dealer. just outside of Kars. They seem to be okay. selll only honda motors so if you are looking for merc yammie or rude look elsewhere.
gonefishin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gonefishin »

I was looking to buy a newer model 16 foot aluminum this spring (made several posts regarding this on this forum) and many of the dealers I called were to busy to answer my questions (this was my first boat so I had alot of them) and many of them said they would call me back. Many of them never called back and the ones that did called back several days later. I realize that dealers are busy in the spring with new boat sales and getting the stored boats out of storage and I realize that I was only looking to buy a 16 foot aluminum on a tight budget but MOST of the people I talked with had absolutely no interest in answering my questions and seemed to have no interest in making a sale. That's why I posted many of my questions here on this forum and many people took the time to answer my questions and I eventually purchased a boat from a retailer who also posts on this board.
Sportspal
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Sportspal »

I guess I'll be the one to kind of stick up for Pirate Cove.
My experience was twofold.
I was searching the internet sites high and low to try to find a quality used boat, but was having a hard time. I emailed PC and asked about pricing on some entry sylvan models. It took three weeks to get back me. Actually, when I got the email back, I kind of wondered about what I had actually emailed out.
However, I did end up making the rounds in person to Lake and Trail, Carsons, DK Dods, CP Marine and Pirate Cove, and I must admit that the salesperson was very knowledgeable, and took an hour to go over features, and to speak about how he could help me customize the models because I needed a 4 seater in the back, as opposed to 3 because I want to keep a close eye on the little ones.
I was provided with price quotes, financing quotes, email addresses, business cards, brochures with everything written out in plain english so that even I could understand everything.
Now, I waited 10 minutes at Carson's for a salesman, and then left frustrated because no one wanted to sell a boat.
DK Dods was closed, but it looked like an honest place to buy a quality boat.
At Lake and Trail, I felt like I was wasting this guy's time, and was pretty much told to come back with my wife before even trying to make a decision, which really pee pee me off considering JP was nice enough to pass me to one of the owners who really took his time explaining price points, value and warranty differences between different vendors and companies. Unfortunately, I arrived to look at boats while he was having lunch with his daughter, so he just wanted to get rid of me so he could go back to eating.
CP Marine was really close in service to PC, and I was brought into the new showroom tent, and fell in love with every boat, but had nightmares at the prices.

So, PC may have poor afterservice, but as for buying a boat from them, I strongly recommend it as they do go the extra bit to help. Plus, any issues would be covered under warranty for the initial period, so there wouldn't be a cost to the buyer.

My 2 cents.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Sportspal wrote:I guess I'll be the one to kind of stick up for Pirate Cove..
So, PC may have poor afterservice, but as for buying a boat from them, I strongly recommend it as they do go the extra bit to help. Plus, any issues would be covered under warranty for the initial period, so there wouldn't be a cost to the buyer.

My 2 cents.
No cost if you don't include not having your boat for a few weeks.
But then you paid for a boat you aren't able to use.

Sales and price isn't everything if you can't get service.
Terry_F
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Terry_F »

Having just got my boat back after 7 WEEKS , I have to agree with the posts above.
It seems to me that the boat and motor service industry needs an overhaul, maybe just a few Customer Service training sessions would cover it, but it needs something. $100 per hour and crappy service skills is not good.
Now, I'm not sure about the technical skills involved, I just hope they are way better than the customer service skills.

I only take exception to one comment above, that is the 17 yr old ditsy blonde. That is a little unfair, I expect it is a minimum wage job, the best answer she could give you is only what the tech or service manager tells her, and if they don't even talk to her, then she has nothing to tell you.
Give her a break, she is as much a victim as you.

If any dealers happen to see this, we consumers are paying hard earned money for luxury items for most of us. All we ask is to be treated with some respect and honesty (even if it's bad news). It would be worth investing in customer service training and keep it on-going year after year. It will pay back in customer loyalty and satisfation.
I for one would love to be able to say, go to MY dealer, mention my name and I promise they'll look after you.
Just for the record, my best experience to date locally is Georges in Carp.
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

My career in the banking industry forced me to move TOOOOOooooooo many times, and I used to say the hardest part of any transfer was finding a good barber, and a good auto mechanic. However this forced moving taught me how to adapt - sales was not the usual problem, although many years ago, I did write to Roger Smith, Chairman of GMC Canada and say Yes, I really would like to buy a Buick, but I can't find anyone who knows how to sell me one - needless to say this got RESULTS.

Automotive service has always been of prime importance to me, so much so that whenever I was transferred to a new location, and was in the market for a new car, I would first visit automotive dealer service centers in the early am, just as customers were bringing in their vehicles for service work and sit with a coffee and listen to comments and customer reactions - its amazing what you can learn in a very short period !!!

I applied the same procedures when purchasing my boat 8 years ago, and I agree the marine industry has a looooong way to go - it took me over 2 years of research, before I was able to narrow it down to a couple of brands with the power plants that I WANTED. I then went back to my service model and picked the boat from the dealer that I felt was going to give me the best service. I have never regretted my time and effort in reaching my decision. Good Service will always trump Good Sales in my book.
Peppino
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peppino »

Thank you for posting this SkeeterJohn.

This is a little off topic, but I hope you don't mind that I share this. I was talking to one the soccer dads one night and we got on the topic of landlords and tenants. This friend of his who is a landlord had a tenant who owed him rent money. Instead of going through normal red tape, he picketed in front of the tenant's employer.

Harsh, but very effective. He got his money at the end of the day. 8)

Joe
JRSuprstar
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JRSuprstar »

My experience with PC was not a good one, however, in their defence, I have heard great things about their sales dept....the gentleman beside me was purchasing a new 30 footer, and he couldn't have looked happier...the problem is service...of course, the next place I took the boat had it a week, and did nothing to it also (then tried to charge me 1 hour for an estimate)....fixing it myself SAVED me hundreds....
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Terry_F wrote:I only take exception to one comment above, that is the 17 yr old ditsy blonde. That is a little unfair, I expect it is a minimum wage job, the best answer she could give you is only what the tech or service manager tells her, and if they don't even talk to her, then she has nothing to tell you.
Give her a break, she is as much a victim as you.
If you are the front line in speaking with customers then you want someone who is at least capable of calling you back... A visit to the service department in person and you'll know exactly why that comment was included... minimum wage or not emply someone who can at least sound as if they are interested.