Transom repair

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
HogHunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Transom repair

Post by HogHunter »

Hi guys. I have a 17ft fiberglass bowrider and noticed that the wood in the transom is rotting. I have reinforced it with 1/4" aluminum plates on either side bolted through the transom to eachother. I have also attached rods from the the plates to the fiberglass on the interior of the boat to help support the weight of the motor. This is causing stress on weak points in the fiberglass. Should I be worried that the whole butt end of the boat will crack and I will lose my motor? Has anyone else had this problem? I am hoping to find a more permanent and safe solution. I know I could probably remove the rear portion of fiberglass, replace the wood and then have it re-fiberglassed but I don't know enough about it to go ahead with it and would rather not go this route. Any input would be appreciated.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Losing your motor could be the least of your problems. Losing the buttend of your boat will surely affect the whole floatabilty of the craft. Make sure you wear your PFD before you head out.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

This is a dangerous situation. As Dan said losing your motor is one thing but losing floatation is another.

You need to repair the transom and anu other rot you find - it could be extensive. Or get rid of the boat.

Go to http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=19 Bassboat restoration read through all the post regarding rebuilds

here is an example http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread/14109 It is a bass boat but it is fibreglass

here is another

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothre ... et-restore

Good luck
HogHunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HogHunter »

Thanks Norm, alot of good info on those threads. This issue is well beyond my capabilities, I will have to take to someone in the know to make sure it is done properly. It is too bad b/c this boat is in immaculate condition other than the rotten transom. Thanks again.
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

It is not hard to fix,if you do fix it,(or have it fixed),go with a steel full width transom saver. I have had one on my 18' Caravelle open bow for 30 yrs. with a 115 Merc. and other than painting it every few yrs,and re-caulking the seams where it slips over the transom,it is rock solid.I don't even have any cracks in the gelcoat on my transom. You could have one made by a welding or machine shop pretty easily,just need a good sized metal brake to bend it to slip over the transom. personally,I've never been a fan of the aluminum ones,aluminum has it's advantages everywhere,just not on a transom.but that is strictly my opinion. If all else fails,I have a nice little 16' glastron open bow,just sitting on a trailer in my yard, for sale cheap that you could re-power, and it is solid back there,it has an old 80 merc. tower bolted onto it ,that could be removed pretty quickly.