Help with the nerves

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
High Noon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Help with the nerves

Post by High Noon »

Hi Folks,

I hope to be installing a transducer on my Lund wc 14 this week-end. The bracket I'm using to hold it in place is finally going.

I was wondering a couple of things:

1. What type of sealant have you folks had success with. I have purchased two types. 3M 4200 and Boat Life Life Seal. Both were purchased at The Chandelier.

2. What tips or experiences do you have that you can share with me. I have to admit it's a bit nerve racking drilling that first hole below the waterline. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks and wish me luck

High Noon
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

I don't have any advice. Other then maybe check youtube and google for info and tips for doing the job.

I too would be nervous. I'm sure it will all be just fine.
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

only advice that I have,is use good self tapping screws,that way it will be watertight,as the hole will be much smaller than the screw.don't mount it to low ,you only need the lower 1/2 of the ducer under the boat transom,and get it at least a foot away from the motor shaft,to avoid prop wash. also make sure that it misses the rollers on your trailer, and won't hit the wood bunk. some trailers have the wood bunk extended well past the boat transom.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Measure twice before drilling. Then before drilling measure again!
Read the installation manual that came with the transducer. if not placed accurately it will be useless and you will be putting more holes in the boat.

and above all
measure measure measure.