Michigan Wheel Extra Ring???

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Michigan Wheel Extra Ring???

Post by Mr.J. »

Picked up a Michigan Wheel Vortex prop to take up with me camping to pull the kids on the tubes

So what's the loose ring for and how's it installed?

Why can't they spend 5 cents and put a pice of paper in the box that actualy answers this question.
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

most prop kits don't come w/ a thrust washer,is this possibly what you have? is it thick? and fit on the splined shaft ?
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

No it fits on the end of the (insert correct name here) hole that the blades attach

Big Diameter
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

It fills the gap at the back of the prop and is used to help stop weed and line wrapping around the shaft, make sure you put the notched side in, that way a screwdriver can be used to remove it. It puzzled me too but if you put the prop on without it you will see the gap and realise what it is for.
hatterharry
Participant
Participant

Post by hatterharry »

The ring is important ... in addition to keeping stuff out, I noticed a 3-4 mph speed difference without it. Not sure why but my boat went from a top of 35 back to a top of 40 when I put it on.

I agree with the other guy, my prop came with NO instructions on how to install it or why it is necessary. Someone said the newer props have added a line as to when it needs to be used, but they still do not explain the install.