Warning - Beware of Mechanics at Orleans Boat World

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
dougv
Participant
Participant

Warning - Beware of Mechanics at Orleans Boat World

Post by dougv »

I recently had my volvo serviced at Orleans Boat World - serpentine belt replaced as per volvo engine hour recommendation. After the belt was replaced thought I'd take my boat out for quick spin....near disaster.

5min from the dock my temp guage spikes, I shut down the engine to have a look and the water pump is hanging off the front of the engine.

How could any competent mechanic forgot to bolt on a waterpump? I asked around the marina at Petrie Island and many others have had really bad experiences which have resulted in more expensive repairs down the line.

Unless you like having your engine wrecked avoid Orleans Boat World.
AngryBeaver71
Participant
Participant

Post by AngryBeaver71 »

:x

That is pathetic. I bought my boat from Orleans Boat World. Myles and Robin were great, but when I have called there to speak to either Myles or the service dept to ask questions, get quotes etc, I never end up speaking to anyone! Then when I did speak to someone, they were rude and acted like I was wasting their time. :evil: That burned my butt

Clearly, the after-service is terrible, and a friend of mine had a similar experience as you, in that a simple fix (tune-up) ended up in additional repairs.

I am sorry to hear that you almost experienced a seriously crappy disaster due to incompetence of a so-called trained technician.

Unacceptable in my opinion.

Hope everything goes smoothly from now on!
Umm, excuse me, but where exactly am I going????? And, what am I doing in this handbasket?????
BIGEYES25
Participant
Participant

Post by BIGEYES25 »

I agree with avoiding Orleans Boat World. I had ordered 2 parts from them, a prop and a trim tab. The prop took a week and a half to come in, long but not to bad. The trim tab took 15 business days to come in.....thats unreal.

Hope everyone else learns from our mistakes.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

wow!

When I took my boat in (before Genmar went bankrupt) they were only a Ranger and Stratos dealer as my boat is a Champion(a genmar brand now Platinum Equity) they fixed it under warranty. not only was it done very quickly but properly as well.

I hope this doesn't become a bashing thread, as you could probably have just as many "bad" jobs done at other marine repair shops.
NavanFisher
Participant
Participant

Post by NavanFisher »

Thanks for the information, I am looking for a new boat and will be careful prior to buying from this retailer.

Tom
AngryBeaver71
Participant
Participant

Post by AngryBeaver71 »

In terms of sales, Myles was fantastic, and his after sale attention was great too! Robin in the office was super at helping me get the financing for the boat, and guided me along the way.

Problem is the others, particularly in service that I have had issues with.

If you do go there, only deal with Myles. He's passionate about his boats and fishing.

:)
Umm, excuse me, but where exactly am I going????? And, what am I doing in this handbasket?????
Orleans Boat World
Participant
Participant

Post by Orleans Boat World »

Well I guess it pays off to try and help.
Some of you might be interested in both sides of the story.
Being the busy time of year we are about 7 to 8 days out before we can service a boat. This customer called for service to install a belt and when then asked us if we could do him a favour and install it.
Called for belt on Aug 3rd – belt was in stock
Brought is boat in on 5th to install belt
Picked up his boat on the 6th, and everything was working(boat was started and ran in the back for over 30 minutes). I was never made aware of any issues until I read this post…
Unfortunately I guess I get the wrap for offering him good service.
And the best part….
This morning he shows up at our counter .. the first word out of his mouth is the fact that he’s a LAWYER!!
It’s unfortunate but we do not work under threat. Given the circumstances I have asked him to take his business some were else.
Don’t be surprise if you see this post somewhere else !!!
Thanks
brufan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by brufan »

Orleans Boat World wrote:Well I guess it pays off to try and help.
Picked up his boat on the 6th, and everything was working(boat was started and ran in the back for over 30 minutes). I was never made aware of any issues until I read this post…
You ran the guys boat for over 30 minutes with the water pump disconnected? :shock: :shock:
dougv
Participant
Participant

Post by dougv »

In response to one of the comments below, this is not a bashing discussion, but a warning to other boaters. This is the first and only time I've posted a an negative experience on the web for any product or service.

The facts are simple, I had my serpentine belt replaced at Orleans Boat World, day after I get my boat back I go for a spin, 5min from the dock temp guage spikes, I shut down the engine, they did not bolt the waterpump back on and I get towed back to the dock (thanks to the great staff at Petrie Island Marina). Only thing I left out is I'm in the middle of my vacation.

From the facts everyone can make their own decision about Orleans Boat World.

The end to story is not a great one. This morning I brought my boat to Orleans Boat World, had a chat with Marc (who I believe is the owner).

His first concern wasn't for the problem his mechanics created. He was a little upset that I had shared my experience on this forum..of course I'm a little upset his mechanics forgot to bolt on a waterpump.... a waterpump is such small thing to forget afterall. After the initial uncomfortable moment he agreed to have a mechanic look at my boat who confirmed sure enough the waterpump was not connected.

I asked him to fix their mistake, bolt on the waterpump and I'd be on my way and back to my vacation. Also told him I'd update this posting to reflect a positive outcome . Initially Marc agreed and stated "we stand behind our work"...which I thought great.

After agreeing to fix the problem he demanded I retract this posting "before" they fixed the waterpump problem. I said I retract it "after" they fixed the problem...how would I update this posting from their store?

When I said I'd retract and provide a positive update "after" they fixed the problem Marc changed his mind and told me to take my boat to another place to have it fixed - he was NOT going to fix the problem created by his mechanics. He also stated the waterpump was bolted on and tested before he returned my boat ..... amazing how after 5min of run time the engine heats up and the waterpump is not bolted on.

Was I being unreasonable asking them to fix the problem before I updated this posting to reflect a positive outcome? Not sure how I can write about a positive experience before I have a positive experience.

Anyway, everyone can decide for themselves. Thought I'd share my experience to create awareness in the boating/fishing world.

If you want to see a video of what happened I'll post it on youtube.
dougv
Participant
Participant

Post by dougv »

Interesting to hear comments from Orleans Boat World. My first words I spoke is I have a problem with some work done on my boat. And, I'm not a lawyer...Marc asked me what I do and I told him I'm an engineer. Not sure what I do for a living is relevent to not bolting on a waterpump.

When Marc talked about slander for posting my experience I told him he should talk to a lawyer .. how can a negative experience be slander.

Will I share this experience with Orleans Boat World with others, you bet.

Oh well..back to my vacation.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

dougv wrote:Was I being unreasonable asking them to fix the problem before I updated this posting to reflect a positive outcome? Not sure how I can write about a positive experience before I have a positive experience.
I say you were being unreasonable due to the fact you posted the situation before allowing the dealership an opportunity to correct the situation.

I wouldn't have been too happy being out on the water powerless either, but I also would have given the dealership the opportunity to correct the problem before publicly notifying the world wide web.

You played your cards, and now its going to cost you money to have another dealer make the required corrections, and more than likely it won't happen this week so you can enjoy your boat while on vacation.

Better luck next time.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Wow... these guys join Fish Hawk in the last two days. Three posts between the two of them. All of it negative.

Kind of like when people come to Canada bringing their tribal, religious or cultural wars with them and have a throw down in the air port after passing immigration.

Right or wrong... you two are just bringing your argument to a place that niether one of you have any real attachment to.

These axe grinding posts should be the exclusive domain of members who are a part of the Fish Hawk community.

Good luck with your endeavors. I hope you both post some fishing reports in the fishing section for years to come.

Craig
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Wow... these guys join Fish Hawk in the last two days. Three posts between the two of them. All of it negative.

Kind of like when people come to Canada bringing their tribal, religious or cultural wars with them and have a throw down in the air port after passing immigration.

Right or wrong... you two are just bringing your argument to a place that niether one of you have any real attachment to.

These axe grinding posts should be the exclusive domain of members who are a part of the Fish Hawk community.

Good luck with your endeavors. I hope you both post some fishing reports in the fishing section for years to come.

Craig
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
dougv
Participant
Participant

Post by dougv »

The last few folks are right. I apologize to the members Fish-Hawk, this is not the forum for axe grinding, didn't intend for it to come to this. Just wanted to warn other people.

I was a more than a little steamed at the waterpump issue that overheated my engine, ruined 2 days of my week's vacation with my family, cost me 2 days of camp site fees, $20 it towing me back to the marina and $50 for another place to bolt on the waterpump.

All I was looking for from Orleans Boat World was an "We are sorry" and for them to fix my problem. It would have taken them less than an hour and and in the end had a happy customer.

Hope nobody else has an experience like this.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

You know what?

I think this is a great post.

If we all shared our bad experiences and good experiences about any and all services, then the servicer had an equal opportunity to respond, then INHO service providers would have no choice but to step up.

We have all felt at one time or another we got screwed over and we've also felt at one time or another someone went out of their way to help us.

But when and where can we share this?

I too have a service I am not happy with, I feel like I haven't gotten what I paid for but I am going to go back and give them the chance to make it right before I share this (yes trailer related so it is part of this community).

You don't have to agree with me and it's 100% fine if you do or don't.

Cheers.