12ft vs 14ft boat

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
neurotic
Participant
Participant

12ft vs 14ft boat

Post by neurotic »

I'm looking for a used aluminium boat to take out on the Ottawa River. This would be my first boat. I was looking for a 14 footer but found a good deal on a 12 footer. It's a Princecraft Ungava with a 15hp motor.

Anything I should know before going the 12 foot route? I'd be going out alone most of the time.

Thanks!
Fishtraks
Participant
Participant

12 or 14 ft...

Post by Fishtraks »

I have a 14.5 ft Legend and am hesitant about taking it out on the Ottawa. Last Saturday was a good example(14th Aug). Started out nice enough but by the afternoon the wind was honkin' out of the SW. I was in a 19 ft boat trolling on the north side of the river opposite Arnprior and the waves hitting the side of the boat were soaking us with spray. If i'd been in my Legend I would have been thrashed senseless. Also, big storms blow down the river out of the NW and huge waves can appear very quickly. If you're going to be primarily on The Ottawa, I would definitely want something bigger than a 12 footer.
just my 2 cents....
Cheers and good luck. Play safe.
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

The Ungava is a great boat. Deep, wide and solid on the water. The 15hp will push it along very nicely. If you are going to be out alone, i would put sand bags in the front for some weight. Too bad about the Legend, lol, but any boat out the in those conditions just requires a little common sense. Never travel with the waves hitting the side of the boat.
Fisherman are the biggest liars.
neurotic
Participant
Participant

Post by neurotic »

Thanks for the input guys.

The width and depth of the Ungava is the only reason I'd even consider a 12 foot boat.
Fishtraks
Participant
Participant

Post by Fishtraks »

moonshine..."never travel with the waves hitting the side of the boat". That's pretty funny. Where do you fish, in your swimming pool?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

Fishtraks wrote:moonshine..."never travel with the waves hitting the side of the boat". That's pretty funny. Where do you fish, in your swimming pool?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
well you spoke of waves that were too big for your legend. only an idiot would put himself in harms way and troll with huge waves thrashing the boat about. Legends are very stable boats IMO.
if the waves are that bad that you won't venture out on the Ottawa then post it in the classifieds, i may buy it.
Fisherman are the biggest liars.
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Think in terms of where you are going to fish.
The Ottawa has plenty of safe water that if the wind picks up, then head for shore. The river is loaded with fish so you don't have to go far.
An Ungava or any 12' for that matter is not very safe if the conditions are going to be bad and is not suited for a 15hp. A 14' such as a Fisherman would be better for a 15hp!!! If you are buying new, you can get a Fisherman for a few hundred more. Get a boat that has a deep hull and make sure you check it for leaks (if it is used)!!! Now the waves; Never ever travel across the waves sideways, unless you are in 2 feet of water and want to get wet! Travel slow and with caution. Send me a pm as I will probably be selling my 14' this fall.
You can see my boat here.
http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewt ... 984#334058
Dane :)
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
waynerb66
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by waynerb66 »

I would not get a 12 footer for the Ottawa River. I have a 14 foot utility Misty River. When the winds pick up, the waves are brutal. And my boat is heavy duty, deep and wide. I would NEVER head out there in a 12 footer.
I mean there are a lot of little bays that are quiet. Just remember though, you have to get there. You want to get there in one piece.
That's just my opinion.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Dont' get a 12'. I used a 12' for 2 years on the Ottawa and it's just not big enough. I came within an inch of sinking when a yacht make a perfect wake 50' away from me. It's not a matter of comfort, or size, it's a matter of safety. Go with the 14.
RobM
Participant
Participant

Post by RobM »

Whatever you buy, you will wish you went bigger. I think a wide / deep 14 would be the minimum I would consider. I have a 15' Princecraft and there are times when I wish it was just a little bigger.
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

12 foot boat

Post by Super »

I was thinking of 12 foot boats the other day regarding safety and I do not even think they should sell 12 foot boats.
Although we used one for years on a lake at the cottage, we did only go out when the weather was nice.
If you are trailering around, you will have days when you should not be out but you drove too far, so you will decide to go out for just a while.
Stay safe and buy a 14 foot.
The longer a boat the better it can handle the waves.
If people had the garage space and money, everyone would buy a 16 foot
David
pasquini
Participant
Participant

Post by pasquini »

I agree with most of the other replies. The bigger the better as the Ottawa can get real nasty in a real hurry. Whatever you do, save some cash for a good PFD and make sure you actually wear it.
neurotic
Participant
Participant

Post by neurotic »

Allright, thanks for the info guys. You definitely won't be seeing me on the Ottawa river in a 12 foot boat.