Deep Cycle Battery Info

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
FishToLive
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Deep Cycle Battery Info

Post by FishToLive »

For those looking to purchase a deep cycle battery...

The prices and info might be a bit different since I did this research spring 2012.

I finally bought a Trans-Canada Deep Red from Battery Expert in Orleans....so far, loads of power!!!! Takes a while to charge at 2amps but it's worth the wait...

Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Deep Cycle Battery Info

Post by Paul Shibata »

That's great work, certainly will help a bunch of guys out. My only word of caution if I may be so bold.

If you are seeking a starting battery then of course cranking amps is the critical number. That said be sure to compare appropriately. Temperature compensation will yield different results when measuring cranking amps hence the cca (cold cranking amps) ca (cranking amps) and mca (marine cranking amps) ratings. Modern engines with electronic ignitions require at least 1000 mca. Less than that and your warranty may be voided. So when comparing batteries be sure to compare similar measurements.

Deep cycle batteries for your trolling motors etc must be measured differently. The standard method to compare how long a deep cycle battery will last is either AH (amp hours) or RC (reserve capacity). Much like in cranking batteries be sure to compare apples with apples. Some manufacturers will publish a flattering figure however the fine print might reveal that they used a less than conventional measurement. For example the table provided reflects a tremendous amount of hard work (thank you) however a few figures stood out and suggested that a bit of boastful marketing was at play. The convention for reserve capacity is to determine (in minutes) how long a 25 amp current can be drawn from the battery before the voltage drops off. A great battery is around 200 minutes. This means that if your trolling motor draws 25 amps it will be able to do so for 200 minutes. Using the battery that the OP selected (TC Big Red - great battery) the RC is listed at 280 minutes which is much better than all of the other batteries. A quick visit to their website however revealed that 280 minutes is for a 20 amp draw. At 25 amps, it has a listed reserve capacity of 215 minutes which is much closer to the other well respected brands.

I meant absolutely no disrespect to the OP as his selection was still excellent if you are seeking a conventional flooded cell battery. In almost all situations this style of DC yields the best bang for your buck. Charge them always, keep the fluid levels in check and the battery should provide years of service.

With the recent onslaught of electronics and multi pump livewells, a lot of anglers are finding out the hard way that their cranking battery fails them at the end of the day. So many of us run a short distance with the big engine then fish the rest of the day using the TM exclusively. Doing so never provides the main engine an opportunity to recharge the starting battery despite the fact that our electronics including our livewells have been draining non stop since early in the morning. Most cranking batteries have a unique design to create huge current for a very short burst (1000 amps for a few seconds) but the gas tank for low current draw (electronics etc) is really small. Worse yet each time you drain a cranking battery down till the point of being dead, you take a huge chunk of it's lifespan away.They were not intended to be deeply discharged like a deep cycle. The only battery design which I have found that satisfies the manufacturers requirements for 1000 mca's and also has a decent reserve capacity are the newer absorbed glass mat batteries (AGM). This style is maintenance free (no fluid to be added) and spill proof. The electrolyte (battery acid) is contained within the fibreglass sponge encasing the lead plates. This is the style which I have been using exclusively for the past several years and I have never heard the tournament ruining "click-click" at 3:50. Those that know me recognize that few others put as much draw on their batteries as I do. Lastly AGM's do not have to be of the spiral type (optima). The spiral design is in fact an AGM but from my research you get better value from the conventional design AGM's. As expensive as they may seem to be ($270) they will guarantee easily twice as many cycles which more than equalizes the price. Some of the newer agm's boast as many as 1000 cycles which means that if you use your trolling motor batteries 100 times a year the battery will last for more than 10 years. From my research the absolutely best agm batteries are manufactured by Northstar and are available from Total Battery.

Again thanks to the OP for his great spreadsheet, hopefully my 2 cents will add to the thread.
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Was this a request from a Member or are we just throwing prices around?
Laurentian Marine Sales does sell all the necessary boating needs including batteries.
And, they are also one of the Sponsors of this site!
Opps!!!
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
FishToLive
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishToLive »

I posted this before but it was lost in the site crash. I figured I eould repost as information to help make decisions on batteries based on weight/rc/prices...what is listed under LM is what was on the shelf...
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Understood!
Her is a list of what Laurentian carries:

Interstate Batteries
1- Cranking
24M-RD 400 @ $79.95
24M-HD 500 @ $89.95
24M-XHD 800 @ $109.95

2- Deep Cycle
SRM 24 550 @ $99.95
SRM 27 600 @ $109.95
SRM 29 675 @ $129.95
There is a $10 core charge so don't forget to bring your old battery!
We can get other batteries upon request.

We also have a full line of boating and some fishing accessories.
We also stock BRP and Mercury parts.

Mention that you are a FishHawker and receive your 10% on most items.

Daner
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
mblaney
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mblaney »

Daner wrote:Understood!

Mention that you are a FishHawker and receive your 10% on most items.

Daner
Dammit! I have been buying all kinds of parts from you guys, never knew this!
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

FishToLive wrote:For those looking to purchase a deep cycle battery...

The prices and info might be a bit different since I did this research spring 2012.

I finally bought a Trans-Canada Deep Red from Battery Expert in Orleans....so far, loads of power!!!! Takes a while to charge at 2amps but it's worth the wait...

Great comparison chart, i've heard good reviews on the big red's, Trojan have given me great service, in a 24 and 36 v app, the best set i ever owned were sears diehard,
hnoor0077
Participant
Participant

Post by hnoor0077 »

Was this a request from a Member or are we just throwing prices around?????
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

hnoor0077 wrote:Was this a request from a Member or are we just throwing prices around?????

Look at the date. It was posted 3 years ago! Prices and models have all changed
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Daner wrote:Was this a request from a Member or are we just throwing prices around?
Laurentian Marine Sales does sell all the necessary boating needs including batteries.
And, they are also one of the Sponsors of this site!
Opps!!!
x2 on not knowing there was a discount.

Plus, didn't know you were still a site sponsor. I don't see Laurentian mentioned on the banner ads or on the main page (but I might be blind on this!)

To be clear though - Laurentian Marine rocks, I buy almost all my boat parts from you guys.
grey ninja
Participant
Participant

Post by grey ninja »

First post,
I would like to weigh in on this. The list includes 4D and 8D batteries which are commonly used in heavy equipment applications?
Group 24 and 27 are used in pick up trucks. Group 31 batteries are commonly used heavy trucks in multiples of 2 or 4. When your replacing a battery make sure you know the group size as it determines the case dimensions. The letter after the 31 denotes the type of post. A is standard and S is screw type as used in marine applications. Personally I use group 31 costco deep cycle batteries. These are priced right and as long as their ***maintained*** year round they will (and have) last a long time. For the average angler, I think they're the best bet.
alfredalfred
Participant
Participant

Post by alfredalfred »

A is standard and S is screw type as used in marine applications. Personally I use group 31 costco deep cycle batteries. These are priced right and as long as their ***maintained*** year round they will (and have) last a long time. For the average angler, I think they're the best bet.
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

I will second Paul's post (from years ago). In my research and first hand experience North Star hands down is the best. Moved to North Star in the boat last year and these things are awesome. However they are expensive. Another little bit of info is that CT sells the Nautilus ultra xd group 31 which is a re branded North star. Most of the employees at CT don't know this but it is true, and they have all the same specs. I will say I am no fan of CT batteries but these ones are not CT batteries. Price wise they are no cheaper from CT but if you ever had a problem with one in a pinch their hours (usually till 9pm) make it easy to return it and be on the water for the next morning.

orrsey