Help to decide if I should buy Lowrance Elite-5X DSI Sonar

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Help to decide if I should buy Lowrance Elite-5X DSI Sonar

Post by seahawk »

I have a cheap b/w fish finder now that came with the boat package but it not only failed me with a good image to help me find a fish but also lost reading if speed is up to 10 mph. I am thinking to buy a new sonar and found this device Lowrance® Elite-5X DSI Sonar on sale. I can get this in states and ship to my relative's home and they will come to visit us next month. The total cost is $280 tax incl.

I read a lots of articles recently and some good bad mix. I am mostly for bass fishing but occasionally target deep water trout. I don't need a GPS feature since I have a tablet with Navionics app. I am not crazy for side imaging yet since I don't want to spend more than $500+ for upscale models. This leaves me to decide between Lowrance® Elite-5X vs Lowrance® Elite-5X DSI. and Lowrance® Elite-5X cost around $380 (tax incl.) which is $100 more but it is 2D traditional sonar device not a down scan imaging. The benefit of buying Lowrance® Elite-5X is the possibility to use it for ice fishing by adding an extra ice fishing pack for it so I can use it as a flasher.

Can someone here help me decide which one I should buy and any big benefit to use DSI down scan imaging for fishing vs old 2D style? Other recommendation is welcome too.

Thanks,
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Help to decide if I should buy Lowrance Elite-5X DSI Son

Post by lape0019 »

seahawk,

It sounds like your fishfinder may have the transducer set a little high. Before buying anything, see if you can lower it a bit. This should help you gain some single and get the unit to work at higher speeds.

As for the lowrance DSI unit. You really can't beat that price. I paid way more for mine but that is what ends up happening with technology.
If you do a search here, you will find a lot of information on this unit.

The short story is that down imaging gives you a better picture of structure and weeds. You can find fish with it, but you need to know what you are looking for and it takes a while to learn if you are used to 2D.

I have not heard anyone say they have been able to keep a singnal when going faster than 30mph (Mine cuts out around there) so if your boat is faster than that, you may want to look at the 2D model.

And lastly, I am not sure if it matters to you or where you fish, but this unit is only good for depths up to 200 feet. Anything deeper than that, you will not get a signal back.

I am extremely happy with my unit and the only thing I find missing would be 2D sonar as well. The Humminbirds have both in this size of screen so I can't see why Lowrance hasn't done it yet.

My only other recomendations would be to look at the Huminbird 597 or 598. You are not going to get it for anywhere near the price of the lowrance, but the 598 has both DI and 2D sonar...
Mike M
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike M »

It may or may not be important to you in the way you use your sonar, but you need to be aware of one of the reasons why the Elite series are so cheap. The processors are extremely slow. It can take several seconds for the display to reinitialize when automatically adjusting to depth changes. This can be dangerous if you're on unfamiliar waters and operating at higher speeds, and counting on the sonar to warn you when the bottom is getting closer. I love my elite 7 dsi for the imagery it provides, but I am very careful when on new water.
Ducker2
Participant
Participant

Post by Ducker2 »

Hey Seahawk I have a lowrance elite 4 dsi and I dont really like it. Sure it makes rocks and logs look pretty cool but for as marking fish its hard to distinguish between little dots on the screen that may or not be fish. Ive tried different colour settings and adjustments with no difference except the presentation of structure. If its strictly for finding cover its great but if you cant see even baitfish whos to say whats under the water besides structure. I did notice radioworld.ca has good pricing on there sonar units and I think they are also offering a 50 prepaid mastercard or visa card with a purchase on certain items. You might want to check this out.

Rick
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

By following your guys advices, I am looking for Hummimbird 596c hd di now which is a 2D/DI unit without GPS (I don't want to waste money on GPS since I have a tablet with Navionics app on it and way CHEAP). The 596 price is a little bit higher than Elite 5x DSI but still reasonable. I still have a few questions as below:
Does any of you has the experience of using this unit for tips?
Does 596c HD DI still hold the depth reading when boat is planing like speed at around 40mph?
Is this unit good for ice fishing if using ice fishing transducer?

Thanks.

Seahawk
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

The 2d image should work with speeds faster than 30mph but I imagine the 3d still won't. I would suggest going to a local store and checking them out.

I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work for ice fishing but I don't ice fish so I can't help there.
MUSKY HUNTER
Participant
Participant

Post by MUSKY HUNTER »

Hey Seahawk

I just bought a hummingbird 598 ci hd si and I love it I was in the same boat as you looking for a fish finder. I spent a little more money but love the unit works awesome side imaging is quite unique!!! Check out ebay I bought my from Jackson ills Florida had it in about a week!!!
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

How much did you pay for it? Do you need to buy map card if using gps or does the unit come with one?
MUSKY HUNTER
Participant
Participant

Post by MUSKY HUNTER »

Got mine for 729 less 100$ mail in rebate gift card so 629 nope no card needed GPS built right into the unit no tax lol unit sells for 899 in Canada on radioworld.ca
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

That is really a good deal! Have you got the MIR already? If no map card, How possible you can use its map feature since no map available? Are you going to buy one in the future?
MUSKY HUNTER wrote:Got mine for 729 less 100$ mail in rebate gift card so 629 nope no card needed GPS built right into the unit no tax lol unit sells for 899 in Canada on radioworld.ca
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

Bought HB 598ci HD si eventually and hopefully I can catch more fish. Now I need to figure out how to install it on my boat and I am not sure if I can still keep my original cheap 2d black/white one without interference if I install them at the nearby location.
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

3 year old post
Last edited by PunchRig on Sat May 09, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

:lol: