Prop worth replacing?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Grey_Thunder
Participant
Participant

Prop worth replacing?

Post by Grey_Thunder »

Banged up my 12" pitch prop on my 50 HP Yamaha 4-stroke (on my G3 Eagle 16.5' aluminum bassboat). One blade slightly damaged (bend tip) and other cut up pretty badly (but not catastrophic). Lost about 2-3 mph riding home. After 20 years of boating, first time I've damaged a prop this bad (I guess I've been lucky... or more careful).

Worth replacing or file down and smooth out?

moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Prop worth replacing?

Post by moonshine »

I would replace it. may not make much difference speed wise but it will save you more money later. your prop is now out of balance. using it would take seals and bearings out of the lower unit
Fisherman are the biggest liars.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I have seen props in much worse shape than that repaired. Personally, I would buy a new one and have the old one repaired and used as a spare. I definitely would not be running the prop in the condition that it's in now.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Grey_Thunder
Participant
Participant

Post by Grey_Thunder »

Thanks for the advice.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Dad went through this a few years ago. The cost to replace is only a little higher than repair. He ended up needing a spare prop anyway so he bought a replacement and sent the original out to be repaired and re balanced. It worked out for him as he hit something a few weeks ago and needed to swap it out again. It is always good to have a spair laying around.