MinnKota Terrova

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
ProBass170
Participant
Participant

MinnKota Terrova

Post by ProBass170 »

Is this a good product to purchase
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: MinnKota Terrova

Post by ShawnD »

It all depends what type of fishing you do.
Are you more likely to be out in open water? Or heavy weeded areas looking for fish in the shallows?

Minnkota makes great product.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

The Terrova is the top of the line electric driven motor from MinnKota.

Whether or not it is a good purchase is a different story as it will come down to what you plan on using it for and what your expectations are.

I have an 80 pound thrust Terrova with I pilot and have really enjoyed the unit. The I Pilot feature is why I purchased the unit and it comes in handy for when I am fishing humps and don't want to have to constantly move around. Spot lock will hold you in a specific place for as long as your batteries will permit. I use this feature a lot perch fishing with my son. I Pilot also has the co-pilot features where you can point the boat where you want to go and it will stay on that course. You can also record a track 2 miles long to go around obstacles or follow a drop off you know about.

I also like the foot pedal on the terrova as it is extremely low lying compared to the cable driven models. I would say there is about a 4 inch difference between the Terrova pedal and the Fortrex pedal.

The negatives that are mostly attributed to this motor is that it takes longer to turn with the electric driven model over a Cable driven model. If you have used a cable driven model before, you will notice a delay when trying to turn. It took me about a week to get used to it and I didn’t even notice it anymore.

Now, If you are concerned about the slower turning of the Terrova, the Fortrex is the top of the line cable driven motor that Minnkota makes. If you go to any bass fishing tournaments around here, changes are, this is the motor you are going to see on the front of most boats.

I know I have provided a lot of information here, but if you are looking for more, let us know what your primary uses are going to be and we may be able to provide some more.

Adam
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I have a Fortrex now and will be adding a Terrova this spring. I will be able to switch back and forth depending on what I'm doing that day.

The spotlock feature alone sold me for open water fishing.

RJ
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dana »

yes i have literally worn mine out…its still running…but i should get another one…they are not cheap

and yes they turn fast enough and are good in the slop

i like the wrist watch remote a LOT
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

If your buying a new motor, consider the Minn Kota I-pilot. I added one to my Power Drive V2 a couple of years ago. Use it all the time. I wouldn't be with out one. If you buy the I-pilot already installed it will save you money. The Terrova will give you a foot pedal where the V2 won't. I never use a foot pedal, just the remote. I use my motor for trolling which is great. Just point and go. When I get a hit I just engage the anchor mode and bring my fish in. I don't have to play around with a foot control. To me the foot control wouldn't be worth the extra money of a Terrova but if you want a foot control go for it. Two weeks ago I was invited to a fish camp. 5 different boats. I was the only guy with the I-pilot. Now everyone wants one. One guy had a Motorguide with a remove foot control. I fished with him for one day. I wasn't impressed with the Motorguide. It was much louder that the V2 and he was constantly making corrections with the foot pedal. After seeing both in action, I wouldn't even consider a Motorguide.

Good luck.