2004 Suzuki DF140 (same as Johnson) water pump issues

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Wrexxer
Participant
Participant

2004 Suzuki DF140 (same as Johnson) water pump issues

Post by Wrexxer »

Hey guys,

I really need your help! I’ll try and make this short…

2004 Suzuki DF140 (same as Johnson)

Last year due to a move in the middle of the summer I only used my boat twice in June 2013 everything was fine and my water pump was working…When came time to prepare it for winter in September 2013, I did like I always did I get all of oil for the the oil changes and I start the motor to empty out the fuel lines. This is where I notice that my “pee” hole was not spitting water…so I decided to store the boat guessing it was the impeller having issues.

Yesterday, I take the boat and set it up in the garage drain to the oil in the lower unit and start to take it apart to change the impeller (water pump) when I got there I noticed some signs of wear but nothing major so I change the impeller, plate and gasket like I’ve done many times already. Put everything back in place and sure enough…no “pee” from the hole still…

So I take the lower unit back off and I start fishing some “weed eater” line and blowing compressed air in every “Orifice” I can find...and still no pee…

I’ve undone the top thermostat bolts and everything seems dry at that end so seems like the water is not getting there…If I put the compressor in the part that slides into the water pump I can feel air coming from the valve whole in by the dip stick (when cap is undone of course) and the rubber line to the pee whole is clear as well…

Also, when I had the lower unit off I put the ear muffs on and I can see the water coming out of the water pump casing so it’s flowing at that point…

Anyone have any ideas on what to check next…at this point I’m willing to try anything, if I would know where the prostate is I would check it…

Thanks in advance.
If you ain't snagging...you ain't tryin
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: 2004 Suzuki DF140 (same as Johnson) water pump issues

Post by campnfish »

I've changed the pump on my 1980 Johnson 15hp a couple of times, here is what I found troubleshooting wise:

- make sure the rubber seals at each end of the copper water pipe are good (the one that runs beside the driveshaft)
- I would suggest testing the engine in a garbage can full of water rather than the muffs. Also note that the engine will need to run a bit longer than it normally would in the garbage can so the pump can create suction and get water to the block. On a lake the forward motion of the boat forces water into the intake holes, so it starts to pee sooner.
- You should not need to empty the lower unit oil to change the pump - maybe your engine is different.

***- ensure the pump is installed correctly - you have to ensure the rubber blades are bent the right way. I would suggest checking out a youtube video or two, most 2 stroke outboard water pumps have similar assembly. If I recall correctly, you have to put the impeller part into the bowl / housing, turning it clockwise as you do so. This makes the rubber blades curl one way, so when the drive shaft spins counter-clockwise when you run the engine its picking up enough water. I've been screwed by this on a 79 Merc 20hp. Pump blades bent the wrong way, no water out the pee hole.

I saw your post and thought 'oh man, been there before!' Hope this helps!
Wrexxer
Participant
Participant

Re: 2004 Suzuki DF140 (same as Johnson) water pump issues

Post by Wrexxer »

Hey Guys,

So last night I put the hose into the flush port and sure enough the water was flowing through the pee hole…put the ear muffs on…no PEE!

So I decided to take of the LU and put the hose directly into the water port and pee whole pee’d again!! I figured it was the impeller at this point so I mounted the LU with a couple of bolts and all of a sudden it’s peeing but I did notice that the ear muffs have to be on perfectly as well…

So either putting the hose in the hole un-clogged something…or that it’s the ear muffs that are sensitive but either way it’s pumping water!!!!

Thanks for all of your help and comments.

PS: While I was looking at this I figured I might as well change the thermostat on the engine…anyone know if it’s a 61c or 70c that comes in the engines by default?? Or recommendations?
If you ain't snagging...you ain't tryin