Coming up: First boat launch!

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
xped
Participant
Participant

Coming up: First boat launch!

Post by xped »

Hey All...

Boating season is right around the corner...and I'm a man with my first boat.

I'm kind of nervous to launch the boat for the first time. I've read a lot of the process and I've got my checklist but until I've done it for the first time, I will be worrying. :oops: Once the ice is out, I'd like to take it out to learn it a little before pike season opens.

I'd like my first time to be as stress-free as possible. No, I will not be that guy launching for the first time in Manotick at 8am on the 3rd Saturday in June! :lol:

So, any recommnedations on a noob-friendly place to launch a boat fairly close to the city? I don't plan on fishing my first time out.

My boat is a 14' aluminumn V hull...if that matters.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Coming up: First boat launch!

Post by NMG »

Some tips in no random order:

- Make sure the drain plug is in
- Make sure the engine is tilted up
- Make sure you have everything in the boat BEFORE you head down to the launch (don't spend time at the water getting ready)
- If you haven't done so already or you don't know how to, practise backing up your boat trailer!!!!!!! I can't emphasize this one enough. Head over to an empty parking lot if you need to.

Here is my routine:

1) Load everything up in the boat
2) Back up roughly half way down the launch and remove the stern straps and bow safety chain
3) Double check drain plug and ensure motor is tilted
4a) Head down to the edge of the water and have helper remove bow winch line and secure bow rope (if you have a helper)
4b) Head down to the edge of the water and let some slack off of the bow winch line but leave it attached (if you are by yourself)
3) SLOWLY enter the water until the boat starts to float. If you have a helper have them push the boat back so that it is well clear of the trailer and then SLOWLY leave the water while they dock or beach it. If you are by yourself, put the truck in park with the e-brake on and get the boat unhooked and dock it or beach it yourself.
4) SLOWLY leave the water and park your truck and trailer. Some launches you'll want to unhitch in order to leave room for others, at other launches you won't need to. It all depends.
5) Go fishing!

When loading, it's pretty much reverse. I always load my boat by hand (I don't power load) so I just back in, completely submerge the bunks to get them wet, drive up so that the bunks are about 1/2 way out, hop out and load it up. I then drive up well out of the way and unload everything.

The biggest thing is be organized and don't waste time. That said, don't rush yourself and do something dumb (like forget your drain plug . . . been there done that). If you need help at the launch, just ask. Most guys don't mind.

Oh and congrats on the new boat!!!!!!
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

A decent trick for when backing up is to hold the steering wheel by the bottom. When you want the trailer to go left move your hand left. Right move it right.
Daboss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Daboss »

Make sure the motor works before heading from home. :lol:
Damn right I'm good in the sack...I can sleep for hours!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Congrats on your first boat xped. I'm sure you'll have a huge grin on when you get out.
Some very good points here. I've got a couple more to add.
First thing is to make sure your engine is pumping water properly and check it periodically. You don't want to overheat.
Secondly, if you are alone launching take a second rope 10 feet longer than your trailer, or your bow rope if it's long enough, attach it to the bow and the other end to your winch post or the back of your vehicle. Then when you float the boat off the trailer you can just drive forward and the rope will pull the boat up on to the launch/ beach behind the trailer. Works great.

Have fun with your new rig. And do bring your fishing gear, you'd be ticked at yourself if you don't. Panfish are open. Constance lake would be a good safe place to start.
Cheers
Last edited by smitty55 on Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smitty

Straight shooter
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

Oh, one other thing I forgot. Your new engine would have come with an owner's manual. Read through it and look at the engine break in procedures. Make sure to follow them!
xped
Participant
Participant

Post by xped »

Thanks for all the advice on how to launch, guys. I have done a lot of reading on the subject and feel as prepred as one can be without actually having done it before.

I was a little more interested in hearing of recommendations on "where" to launch for the first time. Just looking for a nice easy boat ramp that's not too busy to give me the best possible chance for success!

I see Constance Bay is one launch recommended so far. :)
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

I think that the launch in Arnprior has a really good setup.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

The Arnprior launch is good and also not very busy, lots of room to park and turn. Not sure how high the water is at the moment.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

xped wrote:I see Constance Bay is one launch recommended so far
Actually I said Constance Lake. No current, and not too bad on a windy day. Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

There are very few people at any launch right now so you can go anywhere and probably be able to take your time as long as you prep the boat for the launch away from the actual launch access to the water.
For the first launch stay away from current, the Rideau and the Ottawa are moving pretty fast right now so I would suggest you stay away from Blair and Echolands.
The launch in Manotick is very forgiving (wide) and if you live in Barrhaven, just buy a season pass.
I was at the Kars launch yesterday. The water is only a few inches from the top at the cement launch right on the Rideau but the launch at the community centre was fine but the docks were not in yet. Just wear a pair of tall boots.
The handiest thing with a 14 foot boot is hip waders and then you can launch anywhere., any time, and just drag the boat upon shore while you park the car.
Remember the plug.
I am available most of the time if you want someone to come out and help you out the first time .( you do not even have to take me out)
And once the launches get busy, always ask for help if you think you need some. The next guy in line would rather help you than wait half an hour watching someone have problems but for some reason, people do not offer to help unless asked.
David