Thoughts on Legend XCaliber18

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
howie
Participant
Participant

Thoughts on Legend XCaliber18

Post by howie »

Any advice out there on Legend boats. Taking a serious look at a Legend XCaliber18 with a 115 four stroke for an all round fishing and water sports family vehicle. Fiberglass isn't an option due to limits of tow vehicle. Really think this would be a great fit for us.
Wondered what experience fish-hawk members might have with Legend versus Lund, Princecraft, etc.
Most grateful for any comments.
Howie
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Thoughts on Legend XCaliber18

Post by Roblin »

I had 16ft Legend a few years ago. I was never happy with it. The boat came as a package with a 15hp motor and a trailer. The trailer was poorly made and too light for the boat. The 15 was way under powered for the boat. The boat wouldn't plane with just myself in it. The boat leaked from day one. Not too much water, but enough to be annoying. The boat was poorly laid out with the battery, live well and gas all in the stern. The floor started to rot after a couple of years and had to be replaced. The flooring plywood was thin and didn't appear to have any kind of preservative. The paint turned chalky and the decals faded and started to lift. The boat was pretty when I bought it but it turned to crap in only a few short years.

I traded the Legend 4 years ago and bought a Princecraft. The quality of the Princecraft compared to the Legend is like night and day. The boat is still like new.

Bottom line is, I wouldn't buy another Legend, if fact I wouldn't take one if it was given to me. I'm real happy with the Princecaft. The Lund is also a nice boat. I had one 25 years ago and it was built like a tank.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

I can't comment on the quality of Legend, as I've never owned one.

What I would really suggest you do, is compare other 17-18 models from other brands. I'd look at Crestliner, Princecraft, Lund and Alumacraft to start. Boats are such a personal thing, you almost have to look at them, get inside them, see what features they have, how they are laid out, etc. There will be big differences between them.

Also, make sure you have enough power and when you compare packages, make sure you are comparing similar equipment. Like Roblin said, the trailer is also a big deal. Lots of places will package a boat with a trailer that is undersized or barely adequate, just to keep the price down (same as putting less than ideal HP on the boat). Make sure to do it right the first time.

Have you looked at other makes or models?
kingmarc
Participant
Participant

Post by kingmarc »

What ever you buy make sure you dont under power your boat , i know for a fact that legend have lower max horse power rating than any princecraft crestliner or lund. I personaly owned a princecraft and crestliner and was satisfied with both.
Legend advertise very low prices but when you compare apples with apples they are in the same price range as the others.
howie
Participant
Participant

Post by howie »

Appreciate the input gents.

For sure I know the Legend marketing starts out with a low price with a severely underpowered motor. I'd priced out with maxing recommended power (115hp for the 18). Not to the point of detailed price comparisons but appreciate they end up being fairly comparable to similar aluminum boats.

Hadn't been tracking on trailer specs so appreciate your highlighting that.

I found the thicker aluminum and welded (no rivets) hull on the Legend an attraction. Find the boat to be just solid. Did own a Princecraft 166 before that I have as my reference point. It was a 2003 so in fairness all boats have advanced their design elegance in the past decade and while I did like like my Princecraft in many ways, it had some serious annoyances too. Haven't visited a Lund or other dealers yet to check out their comparable models in a new fish and ski vessel. Gonna spend some time this weekend. Good advice and think I will put some miles on visiting a few dealerships this weekend to help the decision making.

Thanks again. For those who are not between vessels, hope this long weekend affords you some quality time on the water.
Tonyb
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tonyb »

Have had a Legend 188 AllSport for the last 13 years. Still looks like new and the 90 hp Merc runs like a charm. This has been a great family boat for fun as well as excellent for fishing. My bro has a Smoker Craft 18 foot, is exactly same as my Legend, except for his 115 Merc. The 90 hp is fine but I do wish I had the 115 as it is a lot more power. Hope that helps. Actually, the Legend are made by Smoker Craft if you want to know where they come from.
The bigger, the better!
howie
Participant
Participant

Post by howie »

Tony,
Thank you kindly for the perspective. Eight years is a good run to still have an appreciation for the vessel. If I may, what waters you usually run on?
Appreciate the info.
Howie
Tonyb
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tonyb »

On the Ottawa a lot, as well as Rideau river, White Lake, Rideau and Calabogie Lakes. Even had it on Bay of Quinte.
So, pretty well any water around here, and yes, we use it a lot.
The bigger, the better!
howie
Participant
Participant

Post by howie »

Thanks Tony. Pretty much the waters I'd frequent for the most part.
Mike586
Participant
Participant

Post by Mike586 »

I've got an 18 Xcalibur, with an Etec 115 H.O. on the back and its just about perfect for power. Actually, the 115 H.O. is more engine than I need most of the time, but even with the boat having 4 200lb+ adults fishing on it, coolers, gear, etc., I can get it up on plane quickly. Never tried it for skiing, but seriously doubt I'd have any issues.

Going on my 3rd year with it now and usually take it out at least twice a week and my days on the water are generally pretty long at 8 to 12 hour on the water. So far I really can't complain about anything yet, the boat is holding up really well, I've had it out in some pretty rough water, I've caught a lot of fish and it still looks like new. The only things I've really done so far pertaining to maintenance is check for any bolts/screws working loose. I've found a few but that was because the dealer did a bad job re-rigging it to a BRP engine and stripped a few screws, which I've replaced with machine SS screws, washers and nuts with nylon inserts where possible or one size up where I couldn't.

Being one of those combo fish/ski boats, there are compromises in the design (as all of those types of boats have) leaning one way or the other, but overall, it suits my needs and gets the job done. Although I rarely use it to actually put fish in it, I use the front live well to act as ballast to balance the boat out a lot when I'm fishing alone. Puts some weight forward on the boat and on the opposite side I'm on, which helps balance it out a little, particularly when I'm alone.

Honestly, the single best thing about the boat isn't the boat, its that Etec. Too bad they quit making the 115 H.O., a lot of boat makers were sad to see that motor phased out. If I were to buy a new 18' boat today, I'd be putting an Etec 135 or 150 H.O. on the back without question.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

I believe the xcalibur series is a welded series not riveted.
Legend always under powers their advertised models to keep the price down.
If you are upgrading the motor, you should check out Princecraft, Lund Alumacraft, smokercraft, crestliner etc.

For princecraft go see Alfred at Laurentian marine. For crestliner Andre lalonde in wendover , for alumacraft Ridea ferry marine
for lund pirates cove, I think Orleans boat world sells legend and smoker craft
Last edited by CNs on Mon May 19, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howie
Participant
Participant

Post by howie »

CN, Thanks for your reply. Indeed, as stated earlier, once upping the power, this isn't really a price comparison thing. From your response, I'm left inferring that the other makes should be an obvious better choice for a similar vessel but if that is so, would be helpful to have the reasons. You're right about the XCaliber being welded versus riveted but I'm left unsure whether you're suggesting that is inferior or otherwise. Would be interested in views on this.
The Legend struck me as having a more solid hull. Designs amongst all the aluminum fish and ski vessels in this range seemed more or less on par with each other.
Howie
howie
Participant
Participant

Post by howie »

Mike586,
Thanks for that great input on this vessel. Interesting you raising boat balance. May I ask if you installed a electric trolling motor on the bow and if so what size. I spec'd the boat with an 80lb 24 volt but to do this the the two trolling batteries would be in the starboard bow storage. I started to think with the starter and me all on the starboard side, there'd be a permanent list to starboard and I thought I didn't want to have to routinely fill both bow and stern live wells just to help balance the boat.

Possibly the bigger trolling motor and power requirements was more than I really need. I just know I have regretted having less so figured might as well but not at the trade-off of having the boat too off balance or having a clumsy set-up.

Interested in thoughts on this.

Thanks again for the excellent input.

Howie
Mike586
Participant
Participant

Post by Mike586 »

I put in a 24V Terrova, but didn't like the stock compartments, front one was too small, side ones would have thrown off the balance, so I modified the boat a little. I built an aluminum frame between the little walkway between the consoles, topped it with a piece of plywood and matching carpet and ran the wires (I over-sized those one or two gauges) sleeved most of the way in sealtight (a plastic version of liquid tight flex). Changed the trolling motor plug for the right rating (can't remember amps) and installed a 2 bank charger and a breaker (again can't remember the ratings off hand).

Absolutely love the Terrova when I'm jigging for lakers in deep water.

I'm going to redo the piece of wood this summer at some point, I screwed up and guessed one shade off on the carpeting and was a little sloppy with the glue. Once I've got it right, it should look like it was factory installed.

I don't have any pictures anymore (wife washed my phone in the laundry the other day), I might head out to the marina in the middle of the week. If not next Saturday for sure and I'll make sure to take a couple of pictures of what I've done.
howie
Participant
Participant

Post by howie »

Mike, Sounds like a fine modification. My understanding is that is about where it would go on the Xtreme version of basically the same boat. Unfortunately I still want to get the family boat features that the XCaliber offers.
You've confirmed my thinking that it would be unwise to double up the batteries in the starboard bow locker.
Pity about your phone but would like to see the pix of this project when you have a chance.
Many thanks.
Howie