Deka AGM

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
FishToLive
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Deka AGM

Post by FishToLive »

LeBron sells a Deka AGM Battery at 129.94. It has a reserve capacity of 48, which is 1/2 to 1/3 of the rating of most Deep Cycle Batteries. On the flip side, it is at least half the weight of Deep Cycle batteries.

I want to use this is my 14.5' Kayak with a brand new Minn Kota 30lbs/30in Endura C2.

Here are the specs of the TM.
SPEED AMPS THRUST
1 8 4
2 10 6
3 14 10
4 20 15
5 30 30

Anyone using this battery?

How long should I expect this battery to last with my motor?

Any other battery suggestion?
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Deka AGM

Post by fishin mission »

I bought the everstart marine battery from walmart at 89 dollars and have had no issues whatsoever with it and have been using it almost every weekend for the last 3 years. I would buy another one if i had to...... happy with the battery . DANO
flewdogg
Participant
Participant

Re: Deka AGM

Post by flewdogg »

I can't speak to the battery as I haven't used it. However, I do have the exact same trolling motor for my 12 foot tin can boat. I have been using it on a Costco (Kirkland) 27 series deep cycle rated for 115 amp hours. Cost me $89 plus tax. I never drain the battery to less than 25% charge. I have used it almost exclusively on top speed (5) on a couple of very windy days and I got about 3 hours out of it before it got to around 25% remaining charge. That seems to correspond with the TM settings you give (30 amps for top speed, x 3 hours = 90 amp hours, which is 78% of the 115 amp hour rating). I am very happy with the battery so far. I float charge it all the time using a smart battery charger, to increase its life.

I am not sure what "reserve capacity" measures. As per my calculations above, you should find out how many amp hours the battery is rated for. When you know that, it's simple math to figure out how long you can run the batter at various speeds, given that you have the specs for the TM.

I should also note that the battery I have is heavy (probably at least 60 lbs). It may not be right for you given you're looking for lighter batteries for a kayak.