Putting the boat away

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Bass assassin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Putting the boat away

Post by Bass assassin »

Hey gang - I'm trying to stretch out my boating/fishing as long into the season as possible but with temps dropping to zero this friday - when is it time to cry uncle and put her away? I have a merc sterndrive.
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Putting the boat away

Post by Super »

Just let the weather determine it.
When the ramps are so frozen you cannot get your boat in the water, put it away for the winter.
David
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

When the ice floats hit the hull. Keep it out until November.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I usually put mine away November 11th. I have the day off so it doesn't interfere with anything. I could keep it out longer but by that time, I usually am not catching much of anything.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Don't worry about the temps, the next two months are the best fishing of the season. Put her away well into November.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Not before the next Ice Age.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by plowjock »

The next 60-75 days are the best fishing of the year.
My new boat gets here just in time to hit the best fishing.
It'll see more 5 lbers. in this short time than it would've had I had it all season.
Water temps are still up in the 60's. wait until they hit 40-45 *F.
It may be cool but the adrenalin will keep you warm.
Just hope it's cooled down by Oct.18....MEGA BASS TOURNY.
muskie_magnet
Participant
Participant

Post by muskie_magnet »

If you have boat insurance - check your policy. It will have an expiry date, usually around the middle of November unless you specifically requested something later in the season.
MUSKY HUNTER
Participant
Participant

Post by MUSKY HUNTER »

Put her away December 15th lol last day of season!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

muskie_magnet wrote:If you have boat insurance - check your policy. It will have an expiry date, usually around the middle of November unless you specifically requested something later in the season.
That is an excellent point. I have been shopping for cheaper insurance on my boat. I am over $400 a year for my rig. I have received quotes for $250 up to $350 which made me consider changing until I read the fine print.

My current policy covers me in all of Canada and the US where as the cheaper policies only covered me in ONTARIO!?!?!? what good is that?
Secondly, most of them stated boat had to be away in October which also does not work for me.
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

Hi,
Some funny/good answers but with a stern drive if you winterize it yourself you will want to do it when the weather is still warm enough to comfortably do it.
If you have a boat dealer winterize it, check with them for when they can take it and set an appointment now, plus you need to get it to where you store it.
One year I had to wait for the first snow storm to be plowed off the road before I got the boat to storage
There are lots of guys on Fish-Hawk that can take you out once your boat is away.
David
Bass assassin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bass assassin »

Thanks! i'll be the guy in the middle of the January ice flow! LOL
toned
Participant
Participant

Post by toned »

BradGuenette wrote:Don't worry about the temps, the next two months are the best fishing of the season. Put her away well into November.
agreed

I fished and caught better fish during october and nov last year then I did the whole year

just make sure to stay warm, it gets COLD
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

lape0019 wrote:
muskie_magnet wrote:If you have boat insurance - check your policy. It will have an expiry date, usually around the middle of November unless you specifically requested something later in the season.
That is an excellent point. I have been shopping for cheaper insurance on my boat. I am over $400 a year for my rig. I have received quotes for $250 up to $350 which made me consider changing until I read the fine print.

My current policy covers me in all of Canada and the US where as the cheaper policies only covered me in ONTARIO!?!?!? what good is that?
Secondly, most of them stated boat had to be away in October which also does not work for me.

Our fine print does not say anything like this as far as I am aware. We insure the boat from policy inception to policy expiry so if your policy runs from June to June we cover the boat from June to June anywhere in the continental North America. As for putting the boat away I would do it later as well. It only takes a few minutes to defog the engine and remove any standing water from it so very easy to do on outboards...inboards..well totally different topic!!
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL