Camera

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Camera

Post by StarTzar »

For those that are interested in reading more about the Canon S110.
Here is a link to a site called Camera Labs.
They do exhaustive research and always have in-depth reviews.

Here is the link for the S110 review. It was done by Ken McMahon in February 2013

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon ... ndex.shtml

Here is the link to Ken McMahon's site. All kinds of information here.

http://masteringphoto.com/author/ken-mcmahon/

When all is said and done, I recommend that you do the research before buying anything.
Figure out what you really want and purchase and what you are most comfortable with.
(Same for fishing equipment)
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

FishingFreak13 wrote:I have been pondering about buying an actual camera to use to take photos of not only the fish I catch but just the scenery on the lake when I'm on the water. My phone is good but I really get upset when I know a good camera could capture certain photos like I would want it. I know basically nothing about cameras so anything even the slightest info would be great :)
The best thing you could do is go visit a local Photography shop.
Not Wally Word or Best Purchase or Futuristic type shop.
A Store where all they sell is photographic equipment.

Henry's is a good place to start. They have locations in Orleans Ottawa and Kanata.
Explain what you want to do and they will answer your questions.
They will also recommend what to buy based on your needs and comfort level.
Enquirer about a beginners course (not expensive at all) and take it from there.

They offer very good online and classroom courses.

Here is a link to Henry's
http://www.henrys.com/Default.aspx
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
bikeguy92
Participant
Participant

Post by bikeguy92 »

There is always a Gopro in the boat but its just for video. I have a 3 year old Canon Powershot A3000 camera that I take fishing since my cell phone pics are not that great. This camera has endured countless drops, bumps etc and its used for sliding with the kids, 4 wheeling, bicycling etc It was $100 new back then and still takes amazing photos today. My wife has a Rebel T5 but I still prefer the A3000. You don't need an expensive camera for good shots.
bikeguy92
Participant
Participant

Post by bikeguy92 »

Steves Digicams website is an awesome resource for info on cameras.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

I use cannon t3 dslr, a sony handycam hdr, a gopro hero2, an iphone, a blackberry playbook, an ipad and I have used regular digital cameras....

HANDS DOWN NO QUESTIONS ASKED, if you enjoy photography, get the cannon rebel t3....I bought it for my girlfriend for Christmas, it was a boxing days sale and for 600$ tax in with a case and two lenses, two years ago...

I bought the same camera for my mother for Christmas for 300$ at walmart, camera with one lens last year.... DSLR cameras are nuts when it comes to picture quality... look for deals at future shop, best buy, radioshack, walmart.....

The sony handycam was a 2000$ camera and still doesn't take pics like the cannon rebel t3... make sure you get a good carry bag and consider a waterproof bag also!

The thing is, you need someone to hold the camera if you want to be in the picture!!

Gopro is good if you are always putting the camera in harms way...it is also the best camera for fish pictures when you are alone... but good luck cause sometimes your picture turns out horrible with a great fish...
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
Stickleback
Participant
Participant

Post by Stickleback »

I bought a Pentax Optio W90 a few years ago for camping/fishing trips. It's a point-and-shoot that's dustproof/shockproof/waterproof/freezeproof to -10 and I've been really happy with it. It's gotten dropped, rained on, completely submerged, with no issues, and it's got a timer for 10 sec delay to get pics of fish when you're alone. I think I paid about $300 for it. Just nice not to have to worry about your camera and weather conditions when you're on the water or backpacking.
geophisher
Participant
Participant

Post by geophisher »

For what it's worth, I did a lot of research looking for a relatively inexpensive waterproof camera to take on my recent trip to the Caribbean. I settled on the Canon Coolpix S33, which in mid-Feb Futureshop had on sale for $119.00 (reg. price around $129-$139, they sell them everywhere). I wanted the "all-weather" capability of a waterproof, freezeproof, crushproof camera with decent picture quality and that's what I got. I took some great pictures in 10-15 feet of salt water (camera's rated for up to 33 feet) and the camera held up great. The camera recycles very quick so I was able to take multiple shots without almost no wait time in between. It doesn't have a lot of the "advanced" features found in newer, higher priced waterproof cameras like GPS and wireless connectivity but for the money it does a great job and I won't be worried about leaving it out on the console of the boat during rainy days this summer. Even though I'm kind of a "techie", I like that the camera is pretty straightforward to use. The only downsides, and these are true for almost all digital cameras these days, are that the camera has almost no internal memory so you need an SD card (bought an 8 Gig card at Giant Tiger for about $10.00), and the battery is a re-chargeable lithium type that must be charged while in the camera (using the supplied charger). I bought a couple of aftermarket batteries and a regular wall charger of ebay for maybe $20.00.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Nikon D3200. DSLR. Set on auto and enjoy. There's not a whole lot to learn unless you want to be a professional photographer. Justin Hoffman would be a great guy to talk to htough if you do want to take Professional grade photos consistently! Myself, for indoor photos I just set it to Auto. For outdoor photos I set it to S (shutter) and adjust my shutter speed and ISO depending on lighting. If it's bright - fast shutter speed and low ISO, in lower light slower shutter speed and higher ISO. Slower shutter means more light. I like to take a couple practice shots before it's photo time to get the settings in the right ballpark.

Yannick
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca