Camera

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Camera

Post by FishingFreak13 »

I have been pondering about buying an actual camera to use to take photos of not only the fish I catch but just the scenery on the lake when I'm on the water. My phone is good but I really get upset when I know a good camera could capture certain photos like I would want it. I know basically nothing about cameras so anything even the slightest info would be great :)
SIGUZ
Participant
Participant

Re: Camera

Post by SIGUZ »

I don't know much about cameras either but i'm going to try taking video the whole time that I am out there.
With a video, you can take snap shots from within the video. I hope that this will allow me get the pictures I want vs missing the shot each time I need to fumble with my phone/camera.
Thanks
Siguz (Narv)
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Not sure your budget, but if I could buy one camera right now that it would be a GoPro. They are so versatile and priced competitively for what you're getting.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Assuming you're talking about a point and shoot model, for the most part you get what you pay for, but sometimes you're paying for for all sorts of features that you may never use, like wifi. You want to look at resolution, these days many cams are 15 -20 megapixels. You want a good quality lens with decent optical zoom as opposed to digital zoom. A good panoramic mode, wide angle, and image stabilization are nice features. 1080p video mode would be good as opposed to 720p. Some models are better for outdoor use in marginal weather conditions so that could be a factor for you as well. Battery use is an important feature too, as some cameras really draw too much power. They make some pretty small cameras these days too, which is nice when it comes to packing and carrying them.

The most important thing you can do is check out reviews online, there are lots of good sites. Then check out sales and try to get a better camera at a sale price, but again, check out the reviews, as sometimes there's a good reason why they go on sale.

Good luck with your purchase, it's never a bad idea to buy quality if you can. But it does depend on your budget and what you expect out of your new toy. Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I think more info may be better.

What type of camera are you looking for?

DSLR? Point and shoot? something like a GoPro?

All have their pros and cons.

I usually just use my camera phone but we have a point and shoot as well as a Cannon Rebel T3.

The T3 is a great camera for what it is going for now but it takes time to learn how to use all of the functions properly plus it is bulky.

They also have hybrids out now that are similar to a point and shoot but allow you to use the lenses off of a DSLR. They are much more versatile and are not as bulky. Most of the weight from these is dependant on the size of lens you are using.

I know there are a bunck of people on here who know a thing or two about a good camera. After providing a little more info, wait it out and see what they say.
Bait&Fate
Participant
Participant

Post by Bait&Fate »

A good website where to check out camera reviews:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/

:wink:
"If everyone is thinking alike, Someone isn't thinking" - George Patton
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

I got the Canon Powershot D20 - simple point and shoot but has a few direct controls if you want to tinker. Main thing for me is, drop proof / shock proof, waterproof and freeze proof (to -10c).

Takes great pictures, has GPS capability but keep it off unless hooked up to external power as it's a batter hog.

Full HD 1080 Video, 5 x optical zoom with no lens extending. 12MP CMOS. Standard tripod screw mount.

$300 dollar range but you can likely find cheaper or get a deal with a big and fast memory card.

If you want more camera features for more $$$ it has a big brother the D30.

The D20 comfortably fits in the palm of a Large glove sized hand, easily goes in my Parka pocket or cargo pocket of my pants.

Highly recommended - and my 3 almost 4 year old has seriously tested it's shockproof / drop test abilities, thankfully she's only about 3 feet tall.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/ ... ershot_d20
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Here is the review from the site Bait&Fate posted:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-r ... n-191.html

Pretty straight forward nothing fancy but gets things done.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Self timer! if there is one feature to use when taking a picture of yourself is a self timer.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

FishingFreak13 wrote:I have been pondering about buying an actual camera to use to take photos of not only the fish I catch but just the scenery on the lake when I'm on the water. My phone is good but I really get upset when I know a good camera could capture certain photos like I would want it. I know basically nothing about cameras so anything even the slightest info would be great :)
You will have to explain "capture certain photos like I would want it"
What do you want the photos to look like and what's your budget?
The answers to those two questions combined with the fact that your knowledge of cameras is very low will give us a good starting point.
Once we know what it is you are wanting to do, we can start suggesting what to buy and why.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

A little more info. In the fall I tend to fish a lot of back woods lakes that are around my uncles place. Although catching at least 70 bass a day is fun i always get the chance to be around some great scenery but my phone doesn't get the pictures i want. I do have an HTC one but my camera is all bugged. Also i just like to take pictures no matter what. I've had a few people tell me cannons are really good. I know the basics around cameras but thats it my bugdget would probably be right around the 400$ range.

Brian
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Keep an eye on some deals.

The T3 is a 12 megapixel DSLR that we paid over $700 for when they first came out. With an 18-55mm is now $379.

I know a while back my cousin was able to buy the Canon EOS (I beleive it was mirrorless) which is an $800-$900 camera for $300 and was still able to use all of his old lenses. If you take your time and do your research, you can get a really good deal by shopping around.

Good luck!
Last edited by lape0019 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

FishingFreak13 wrote:A little more info. In the fall I tend to fish a lot of back woods lakes that are around my uncles place. Although catching at least 70 bass a day is fun i always get the chance to be around some great scenery but my phone doesn't get the pictures i want. I do have an HTC one but my camera is all bugged. Also i just like to take pictures no matter what. I've had a few people tell me cannons are really good. I know the basics around cameras but thats it my bugdget would probably be right around the 400$ range.

Brian
Excellent. I would suggest that you stay away from (DSLR) Digital Single Lens Reflect cameras.
On the other hand, if you are ready to learn the basics of photography DSLR is a good option but the budget is a bit short.
I would also suggest that if you choose to go with a DSLR that you take a photography beginners course.

Canon seems to be the best choice for the point and shoot type.
There are two categories in the point and shoot department. Standard and Advanced. That was easy.
The standard is fairly simple to operate. It is fully automatic. You point and shoot. Everything is done for you.
But the pictures don't always turn out how you wanted. That is because you have no control on the functions.

The advanced point and shoot will not only give full automatic but you also get semi-automatic and full manual control of the camera.
Full Manual control lets you set the aperture, lighting, exposure value and iso. You can get more creative with your photography.
Basically the same functions as you would have in a high end DSLR.

I have to go to work. I'm late. I will give you more later. :shock:

One more thing before I go ...
You can get a brand new top of the line Canon advanced Point & Shoot type camera for approx $250
I'll let you know where and how later.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Here is a link to one of the best (if not the best) digital photography forums on the internet.
It's called Photography On The Net (POTN) and covers everything on Digital Photography.
There is enough information there to keep you busy for a very long time.
From beginner to professional, there are thousands of members from all over the world.
You can register and start your research on different Digital Cameras.
All Canon Digital Cameras are covered. That includes the high end DSLR's to the point and shoot.

I would suggest that you register (if you want to ask questions and post) and start researching Canon's PowerShot S110
It is an advanced Point and shoot which is what I would recommend.
Canon has introduced the Power Shot S120 that retails for $449 US.
If you act fast enough, you can get the S110 for $179 US ($250 Cdn with shipping and taxes)

Do the research and if you want to go that route, send me a PM.
I'll refer you to a Photography shop where you can purchase the S110 or any other type of Canon or non-canon Camera.

Here is the link to the Forum
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

Here is a link to a thread showing some of the pictures (by members) taken with the S110
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho ... ?t=1261158

The search function on the forum is excellent (One of the best I've seen or used).
Just enter "S110" and it brings up 74 historical threads that you can peruse.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Here's some reviews on the S110. Not the best lens compared to others in the same category, and mechanical failures as well. Personally, I don't like the idea of a touch screen on a small compact either. http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-powershot-s110/

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter