In-dash or Gimbal mount Sonar

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

In-dash or Gimbal mount Sonar

Post by MuskieWannabe »

As we very slowly start looking at boats, I came away from the Boat Show with one question. Do you prefer an in-dash sonar/GPS or one on a Gimbal mount, or mounted on the dash, and not in? I checked out a few boats with in-dash sonars and they seemed low for my taste, as though I have to look down to see it. I have always had mine mounted either on the dash or on a gimbal mount so it is closer to the windshield so I can see it and where I am going at the same time without dropping my eyes. I was just wondering what other's like or dislike about each and which you prefer?

Cheers,

MW
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: In-dash or Gimbal mount Sonar

Post by lape0019 »

I've never have the luxury of one mounted in dash but think I would prefer it on a mount regardless of location. The mount gives you a little freedom on position so I would like to keep that flexibility.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

I like having the screen on the dash but mounted up right.
That's how I had it in my old Cajun.

The new boat will have it in Dash, I'm pretty sure that won't last long because like the OP said, you have to look down.
We shall see!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

Hey Shawn it's Chris, i sold you that old cajun, congrats on the new boat, having in dash is convient, but the other drawback, is you can't adjust it well for the sun, even new HD units aren't perfect to see with direct sunlight.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

PunchRig wrote:Hey Shawn it's Chris, i sold you that old cajun, congrats on the new boat, having in dash is convient, but the other drawback, is you can't adjust it well for the sun, even new HD units aren't perfect to see with direct sunlight.
Hey Chris, I was wondering who what this PunchRig guy ;)
Welcome back man!

Thanks! I can't wait to get it in the water and start messing with adjustments to get as much speed as I can out of it.

For the HB dash mounted, they come from the factory like that so we'll see how long it last before I buy or make a mount to hold it upright.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

MuskieWannabe wrote:As we very slowly start looking at boats, I came away from the Boat Show with one question. Do you prefer an in-dash sonar/GPS or one on a Gimbal mount, or mounted on the dash, and not in? I checked out a few boats with in-dash sonars and they seemed low for my taste, as though I have to look down to see it. I have always had mine mounted either on the dash or on a gimbal mount so it is closer to the windshield so I can see it and where I am going at the same time without dropping my eyes. I was just wondering what other's like or dislike about each and which you prefer?

Cheers,

MW
We have a Ranger Z118 and our sonar/GPS is mounted on a Gimbal to the right and close to the windshield.
At eye level as you described it.
I would absolutely hate to have to look down and sometimes over the steering.
Even with a folding steering, you still have to look down.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7