LF: lowrance gps/plotter

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
bassman40
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

LF: lowrance gps/plotter

Post by bassman40 »

Hi all,

I need some advice.
I have 2 x 520C 5" graph/plotters networked together but one of them died. I want to replace it this spring with a new unit compatible with the NMEA-2000 cabling and will cross-talk with my existing 520C.
I'm looking at the HDS-5 gen2 unit but it seems Lowrance is fading it out...not sure...which leaves the HDS-7 model Gen2 or bigger units left to choose from.
the Hummingbirds caught my eye as reliable and easy to use units but I don't think they're compatible with my cabling. Can anyone clarify this?
If I have to stay with Lowrance, can anyone advise where to buy at a good price ( or even gently used) and which lowarance unit to get specifically based on their experience.
I called Lowrance directly but they weren't much help. the level of customer service is noticeably decreasing sadly.

Thanks for any advice or help guys!
cheers,
bassman40
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: LF: lowrance gps/plotter

Post by lape0019 »

Lowrance is phasing out the gen 2 units all together. Not sure if the gen 3's will have an HDS 5 in the lineup or not but I can't see them getting rid of it.

Paddletales has a few lowrance units marked down. I would call Ed and see what he can do for you. Secondly, if that doesn't work. Radioworld.ca had some good deals on Lowrance units a few weeks ago. Check their webpage out.

If you want the units to talk to each other, they do need to be the same brand. Others with more knowledge will chime in I'm sure.

Adam
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Bassman40: I left a message at the number you left me. Looked through a number of distributors and found 1 hds5. I might know where there are a couple available privately. I'll check on that tomorrow.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Yes, have found 2 HDS5 gen 2's. Left a message on the number you gave me.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

toobinator wrote:Yes, have found 2 HDS5 gen 2's. Left a message on the number you gave me.

Ed
Ed rules :wink:
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7