Opinions on Sonar

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Opinions on Sonar

Post by campnfish »

Hello all,

Looking for some opinions on buying a used Sonar Unit. Trying to keep the price around $200-$250, if possible.

There are many, many units out there, trying to get the best bang for my buck.

I had seen this: Garmin Fish Finder model Echo 301-DV recently for $150. The reviews looked good, screen is a bit small, but seemed to tick all the right boxes.

Opinions (and offers!) welcome. We fish the Rideau River and other various lakes within 2hrs of Ottawa, get out maybe 20 times a season.

Thanks guys,

Campnfish
LouisD33
Participant
Participant

Re: Opinions on Sonar

Post by LouisD33 »

You should really give the Humminbird Helix line a look
Great brand great units great price point
I am going to pick one of these up to install on my Kayak
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Opinions on Sonar

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Agreed. Laurentian Marine is a putting a Helix on my new Princecraft. It came highly recommended by everyone I spoke to about it. Arguably the best bang for the buck on the market. Having the ability to mark waypoints is a more important feature than anything else in my opinion. I'm not sure if you can get mapping on any line with you price range, but if you can at all afford something with a GPS do it. You wouldn't believe how often being a few feet off the spot can be difference between a struggle and a monumental day. Side imaging is also a valuable feature, but again not sure anything in your price range has SI. Happy shopping!

Yannick
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca