Marine Survey for Insurance

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Marine Survey for Insurance

Post by Cyber »

So my insurance provider tells me RSA won't renew my policy without a marine survey. :(

Anyone have any recommendations/experience with this type of thing (another freakin' 'cash grab' :roll: )
in the Ottawa area?? I did a little googling and seems like a minimum charge of $250 PLUS $100
travel fee!! Geezus, what a rip!!!!! :evil: :evil: If it's that much I guess I'll just do without, I don't
think you are legally bound to carry extra insurance beyond my basic homeowners policy. :?
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
pasquini
Participant
Participant

Re: Marine Survey for Insurance

Post by pasquini »

My insurance company wanted a survey when my PrincecrAft 176 SuperPro turned 15 yrs old. Since it wAs not a cruiser type boat they accepted a letter from my dealer outlining that all systems (electrical, fuel, propulsion, steering) were in good operating condition and that hull was seaworthy. My dealer did not charge me since they service the boat anyway.
2010 Princecraft 182 Sport
Mercury 115hp 4-S
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

Give Heather Bonadie at Rhodes and Williams a call. She is by far the most knowledgeable agent that I have met in the industry. But don't take my word for it, you'll quickly realize that she has tremendous experience and will find the most economical solution for your specific needs. Cost nothing to call and pick her brain. More than half of the Renegade field have taken advantage of their program including clients from Toronto and Montreal.

http://renegadebass.com/marketplace/rho ... insurance/
Alby
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Alby »

Completely agree with Paul. Heather knows exactly what coverage is adequate to suit our needs as sport fisherman. You'll get that sense from her after only a few minutes speaking with her.
Peace of mind knowing you're well insured.
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

Paul Shibata wrote:Give Heather Bonadie at Rhodes and Williams a call. She is by far the most knowledgeable agent that I have met in the industry. But don't take my word for it, you'll quickly realize that she has tremendous experience and will find the most economical solution for your specific needs. Cost nothing to call and pick her brain. More than half of the Renegade field have taken advantage of their program including clients from Toronto and Montreal.

http://renegadebass.com/marketplace/rho ... insurance/
That's exactly what I did!! :? Called her last year and you're right, she was excellent to deal with,
but it's through her I ended up with Royal Sun Alliance and now when my renewal policy arrived
this year it's RSA that's requiring the marine survey. :evil: :shock:
I'm not about to spend $350 for a survey, which will undoubtedly become a yearly or every 2nd
yearly recurring requirement. My boat is fiberglass and 20 years old, my main concern was having
insurance on all my gear & cargo, I guess I'll just have to get by with the blanket coverage provided
by my homeowner's policy. :P :P
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

I think RSA was bought by Aviva,one day I got that letter in the mail,they wanted me to do surveys on both boats,which was gonna' cost me $5-600 ,my whole years premium is under $500,w/2M liability and agreed value. I switched to Premier,thru Cathy,3 yrs. ago, @ Bradley's in Stittsville,who does all my auto and other insurance.,the boats are with a stand alone, marine only, insurance company.
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

the thing I found kinda' funny,was the insurance co., insisted the trailers had some kind of wheel lock when parked,I told them I keep 'em in my shop,year round, with fenced yard, and security alarms and video surveillance,,yet, there is no discount for that. just have to have the wheel locks. :lol:
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

PunchRig wrote:I think RSA was bought by Aviva,one day I got that letter in the mail,they wanted me to do surveys on both boats,which was gonna' cost me $5-600 ,my whole years premium is under $500,w/2M liability and agreed value. I switched to Premier,thru Cathy,3 yrs. ago, @ Bradley's in Stittsville,who does all my auto and other insurance.,the boats are with a stand alone, marine only, insurance company.
Thanx Chris 8)
So the Insurance Co. is 'Premier' ? (I have heard of them) :wink:
I'll look into that. I did look at Bradley's last year before going to
Rhodes & Williams (since I'm in Stittsville every day), but found
out they had been taken over by another company (Johnson was
the name I think, based outta The Rock, I believe :roll: ) and
their main 'local' office was in Cornwall, hence the reason I went
with R & W on Morrison Dr. :? :|
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

Call and ask for Catherine,she specializes in marine, Ross sold the automotive division, he still does the commercial side. Catherine does marine, after i restored the 21 paramount, they gave me agreed value on the hull,and trlr separate, then after Dave rebuilt the 225x they gave me agreed replacement value on Daves numbers,because of the , higher value of the alien cowling, and even insured the CLE lower unit for $5k replacement, i have like $5k cvg.for electronics, rods/reels etc.and tow insurance, and there is a clause in there for enviromental , in case it sunk with 75 gallons of gas and oil, my rods, electronics,are covered under my shop insurance as well,when parked. They didnt ask for a survey and that boat is an '89, but motor is '05 and fresh ,they also covered the xi5 105 troller for $2k and the 15 merc pro kicker for $2500,your rates will vary with values,from mine, but i'm under $500/yr., and i've been with them over 10 yrs.
Last edited by PunchRig on Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

Bill just make sure you go with agreed value on everything., they never asked how fast it runs, but they did ask on the bassboat,bill are you still running that xr4 ?
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

Sounds good Chris! :D
Yes, will be running the XR4 this year after I have Dave
install that after-market electronic oil injection unit. :wink: 8)
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Cyber: If you dont care to insure your boat at all then yes thru the home policy you should be able to extend liability to the motor and as for gear etc unless it is permanently mounted to the boat it will be covered under the home policy anyway. You could get some accesories covered under the boat policy if you wanted you just need to specify amounts for everything. We do the same here with my company though. once over a certain age we request a survey but for most fishing boats we are good with pictures of the boat etc. Anyway good luck and if you need some help you could try this Cathy person or feel free to ask me. I too am well versed in the insurance stuff..lol. It is my job after all!!
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

almontefisher wrote:Cyber: If you dont care to insure your boat at all then yes thru the home policy you should be able to extend liability to the motor and as for gear etc unless it is permanently mounted to the boat it will be covered under the home policy anyway. You could get some accesories covered under the boat policy if you wanted you just need to specify amounts for everything. We do the same here with my company though. once over a certain age we request a survey but for most fishing boats we are good with pictures of the boat etc. Anyway good luck and if you need some help you could try this Cathy person or feel free to ask me. I too am well versed in the insurance stuff..lol. It is my job after all!!
Hey Peter, figured you'd chime in! :wink: (actually thought you'd be 1st!! :o :lol: :lol: :lol: )

So I guess the surveys are routine then?? :( :( Geezus, cost for one of those is higher than my renewal premium! :evil: :evil:

Any way around that?? I really just want replacement cost like Chris was mentioning, boat isn't worth a whole bunch but replacing
a 150 HP Merc outboard ain't exactly cheap, and the gear & electronics I carry are probably worth more than the boat as well. :oops: :oops: :roll:
I don't mind paying a fair price for coverage, but shelling out for a 'survey' busts my craw!! :twisted: I don't have a $250,000.00 yacht FFS!!!! :roll: :evil:
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Seeing as it is an older fishing boat that is not worth alot I would see if your current company will cover it. The only issue we would have is due to being a fibreglass boat we would want to make sure thr transom is solid so the motor stays on the boat and not in the lake..lol. A typical boat with us on a homeowners policy valued at $3000 with a 90HP motor is around $250 for the year max and that is liability and coverage on the boat itself. We would accept pictures to prove it is in good shape. See if they are willing to concider pictures to prove the shape it is in. Always worth a shot to save some money!

As for not being first I didnt even see it till this monring...lol or I would have been!
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

I'd prefer having the boat under a separate policy from my homeowners, as I
imagine I would be more apt to have a claim for the boat than I would for the
house (removing lower unit on a shoal, losing all my gear overboard in a storm,
that kind of bad luck :( ) and if I had to make a claim under my homeowners
policy----BAM----rates skyrocket and there goes my claims free discount. :evil:

My current policy covers $6000 for hull & machinery, $1500 for my trailer, and
$5000 for personal effects, plus $1 million liability for a total premium of $324
with tax. I thought that was reasonable enough and I'd like to renew and keep
that, but I don't want to fork out $350 for an effen survey!! :P :P :twisted: :twisted: