Need some advice water in oil in lower unit - Evinrude 15hp

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
theDL
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Need some advice water in oil in lower unit - Evinrude 15hp

Post by theDL »

I have an older 15HP evinrude. Had the impeller replaced at Ward's marina in kingston 2 seasons back. Changed the lower unit oil at the end of that season and it was a bit milky...thought it might have been the little plastic seals in the fill/drain screws, so I put new ones in. Changed it this spring after another year of use and the oil was very milky:

Had a buddy walking me through on the phone, but I couldn't seem to get at the seals...removed the top and bottom bolt from pic #1 but coudln't seem to pull that section away from main motor and didn't want to force it. Now, I'm thinking of taking it into a marina for repair...unless someone has some good advice for me on how to tell exactly where the water is getting into the oil? or where to go next troubleshooting this issue?

If no advice on DIY, anyone know a good shop around brockville to take this into?

Thanks!
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Need some advice water in oil in lower unit - Evinrude 1

Post by PunchRig »

Take it to Dave @AIM marine, he might squeeze ya in, already booking for May, but you need seals, and most times water enters thru the shift shaft upper seal, best to tear it down and do it right.
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

Hey DL, Terry's Marine 150 Victoria Rd. Brockville. 613-342-7229. I've dealt with him a few times over the years. Tooo bad you waited so long to change the LU oil. Hope he can get you in.
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

If the impeller kit and seals were already done than it's likely the prop shaft seals. You should be able to find seal kits on ebay for your motor. There are bolts deep in behind those openings by the prop shaft that you will have to take out then you can slide the shaft housing out to change the seals. Old seals can be a bitch to get out of the housing but check on youtube for diy videos. I did my old johnson gt 150 last spring and so far so good. Good luck!
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...