Trolling motor question

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Trolling motor question

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Hey gang, just bought a car topper "Jon Boat" for the wife and I :D It is a 10 footer aluminum, and in great shape. I was wondering, now, a trolling motor to put on er. I am using it for city fishing, just me and the wife, and our gear. Rods, cooler, battery and motor. Now looking around, I'd like 40lbs of thrust. The "Endura C2 " or the Endura Max, price difference is minor, but was looking for feedback, and maybe set up ideas, for I've never done this on a small craft before. Any help is awesome gang!!!

T.L F.F
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Trolling motor question

Post by lape0019 »

I've never used a transom mount trolling motor so keep this in mind.

I went on some sites to check out what these two TMs have to offer and came up with you want the Endura Max. The extra money for the added features it has will come in handy for you.

The biggest feature on the max that will be worth its weight in gold is the digital maximizer feature. Basically, this feature slowly starts spinning the prop and builds up speed until it gets to the appropriate level you have set the trolling motor to. By doing this, the battery life is extended for your trip so you will be able to fish longer. Since this will be the only motor on the boat, I imagine this means it will get used a lot so that alone should be worth the added cost.

Secondly, the max had a built in push to test battery tester. I use this feature all of the time. It's straight forward and gives you 4 lights. Each light represents 25% charge.

As for setup, you will need a dedicated deep cycle battery. The higher the reserve capacity, the longer the battery will last. I personally use interstates since my boat came with a set and we're still going strong when I replaced them when they were 6 (deep cycle) and 7 (cranking) years old. The new ones seem to be holding up just as well.

The best thing you can do is charge them after every use. I have an onboard charger so I just plug it in when I get home.

I imagine the battery will be at the back of the boat with the TM so when you buy it, read the manual and find out what size breaker or fuse is required (if any) as well as the recomended wire size. 8 guage will work fine for it though.

I think that's about it for now.

Congrats on the purchase!
andrew1234
Participant
Participant

Re: Trolling motor question

Post by andrew1234 »

Hi guys, I purchased th duramax last week at Canadian tire. It was 320 with tax. What drew me to it was what was already mentioned is the digital maximizer and that bat tester. Ill be camping on an island for 4 days gmfor may long weekend and plan on doing alot of fishing without a chance to charge it so I'll need lots of battery life. I'll be putting my boat in the water next Sunday sun day and I'll be testing the trolling motor for the first time so I'll let you guys know how it works.